New member! And question

Hquinn

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2024
Hi everyone,

I just joined today. I am a new chicken owner. I got 5 chicks in December to house indoors until spring. They are Dino Nuggie (12 week old olive egger), Fancy Pants (10 week old barred rock and seemingly the leader), Hershey (9 week chocolate Orpington), Posh Spice (9 week black australorp), and Princess Teeny (9 week cream legbar).

Princess has always been on the small end and at one point I thought maybe she had failure to thrive as she also appeared sickly. She’s made it this far and is still small, but has her feathers and mohawk 😀 and keeps up with the rest. 2 days ago she began making a strange wheezing sound. She wants to preen, drink and eat, but her crop doesn’t feel full and she is clearly having a hard time. It’s almost like something is stuck in her throat. I did a little research and gave her a little olive oil this morning to help get things moving if that was the case. I’m attaching a video link. Any ideas? I’m afraid I may be losing her.

Teeny

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I saw it and had one that did that. I think she might have a respiratory infection and possibly antibiotics would help her. I gave mine FishMox (amoxicillin) for a week and she got better. I believe TSC sells Tylosin which would be better. If you do antibiotics, be sure to follow up with a course of probiotics afterward.

Please post this in the Emergency Section and see what others think. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom