New Member from Newfoundland, Canada!

bren0990

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Hi there,

My son is looking to get a couple of chickens for eggs in the spring. We live in Newfoundland so I'm wondering if we have a small outside coop would it be too cold for chickens? It doesn't get extremely cold here but it does go down to freezing for 3 or 4 months of the year. Also, we are trying to figure out the best beginner coop and run options. We have a large detached garage but I don't think I want to house potentially smelly chickens in there because we will be in there working on cars etc.. I am hoping there might be other Newfoundlanders on here or at least maybe Eastern Canadians with similar climates!

Open to any and all suggestions, as I can see there is a ton of good info on here.For some background info we have a 3/4 acre lot so lots of room and the backyard gets sun all day long. Not looking to spend too much because I am afraid my son may lose interest quickly.

Thanks!

Welcome to the flock!
frow.gif

I suggest visiting these forums!
Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
Chicken Breeds
Where am I? Where are you!

You can get all kinds of different help. I suggest asking about cold-hardy breeds. Good luck and enjoy byc!

Chickens are much more able to withstand cold than they are heat - there are many breeds who are particularly "cold hardy", but most of the standard egg laying breeds would be just fine in a good coop where you live. You can see different coops here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and might want to do some reading here :https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance You can even take a look here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you to start finding others in your area.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. As long as they are cold hardy breeds, chickens should do fine in an outdoor coop in your area. I've raised chickens where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a well ventilated, dry, and draft free coop, they did just fine. Feathers are wonderful insulators, and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. As long as they are cold hardy breeds, chickens should do fine in an outdoor coop in your area. I've raised chickens where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and with a well ventilated, dry, and draft free coop, they did just fine. Feathers are wonderful insulators, and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.
Not trying to be nit-picky just trying to help
hide.gif

If you think your son is likely to loose interest -do yourself a favor and pick out breeds you are interested in - maybe just a couple he likes. If he wants to increase his participation - get him some more.

Having a few different breeds is one way to discover which should stay and which should live with somebody else. If you get one breed and are not happy with it, you may think you won't like chickens period.

But, they do come in all personality types, size, color, egg laying abilities etc. Some do best as yard decorations.

If you think your son is likely to loose interest -do yourself a favor and pick out breeds you are interested in - maybe just a couple he likes. If he wants to increase his participation - get him some more.

Having a few different breeds is one way to discover which should stay and which should live with somebody else. If you get one breed and are not happy with it, you may think you won't like chickens period.

But, they do come in all personality types, size, color, egg laying abilities etc. Some do best as yard decorations.

Great points all around -- especially about trying a mix of breeds.

Back
Top Bottom