New member from the Eastern Shore of Virginia

TeachRaines

Hatching
Jan 25, 2015
Hi everyone!
I'm a new member, I don't actually even have any chickens..... yet, but will be putting up a chicken coop and getting chickens soon! I'm very excited, but although I've read what I could, still have tons of questions. I haven't done a search on the forums yet, but plan to. Mostly general stuff like... do chickens need a vet, are there home remedies like garlic to use as an antibiotic or herbs and are there certain times that are ideal to order/buy chicks ☆ Are there tips on teaching dogs and chick's to be friends? etc.
I'm sorry for rambling, I'm just really excited!

Hi everyone!
I'm a new member, I don't actually even have any chickens..... yet, but will be putting up a chicken coop and getting chickens soon! I'm very excited, but although I've read what I could, still have tons of questions. I haven't done a search on the forums yet, but plan to. Mostly general stuff like... do chickens need a vet, are there home remedies like garlic to use as an antibiotic or herbs and are there certain times that are ideal to order/buy chicks ☆ Are there tips on teaching dogs and chick's to be friends? etc.
I'm sorry for rambling, I'm just really excited!
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us. There is a lot of helpful information in the Learning Center and in the Forums.

IMO regarding your questions:

1- Make sure the coop will accommodate the number and type of chickens you want. Visit the coop/run forums and pay attention to predator proofing their home.

2-It would be nice to have a local vet, but most don't treat chickens. You can call your local vet offices to see if any do for just in case. We do have an emergencies forum to help with problems. Most local Extension Agents can also help by forwarding issues to Poultry Vets at Universities. My Agent gave me a helpful pamphlet on raising backyard chickens when I first got my chicks, and you should contact them to see if yours offers information.

3-I personally don't use home remedies unless they have a proven safety and scientific basis. Once you get your chicks and become attached, you will want to offer them the best care you can.

4- I think getting baby chicks in the spring is the best time so the weather will be warmer outside when they need to leave the brooder for the coop at around 6 weeks old. Also, decide why you want them, for eggs, meat, both. That will help you decide on how to select them. If you want eggs, then get sexed chicks, but be prepared for at the best it is 90% accurate. IMO buying closer to you is better than mail order, but those who order do report success.

5 - Dogs are predators, they kill chickens for fun. I honestly don't think you can train them to be friends. Many people have had dogs that even tend their flocks and then get disappointed in loss of the flock to the "friendly dog". Make sure the chicks/chickens are not easy prey to the dog.

Feel free to explore the site. You should visit the Learning Center articles on raising baby chicks and explore the coop/run forums.

Please also feel free to ask questions…we are here to help. Good luck with your planning and new adventure.

Greetings! Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Feel free to ask any questions you may have! We're glad to have another member!
big_smile.png
My birds get some garlic and apple cider vinager in their water every day. I have had very few health issues in my large flock. Enjoy your birds!

Thanks for the warm greetings everyone!
Sunflour mentioned an "extension agent" where would I find this agent?

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You can usually find them listed on your county's website or phone book, or try doing a google search under xyz county (of state) extension agent to find a link.

Back
Top Bottom