New member help please

I am having a similar problem, but mammy is 2 years old. The first day she was very swelled up and lethargic. She's been active eating and drinking ever since. The diarrhea has continued though. I have read everything I could get my hands on and so far I have decided to treat with the smallest guns first. I added epsome salts in food, vinager in water and spoiled milk for probiotics. They all seem happy and active but there's still diarrhea. I am crazy about my chickens. I will try anti biotics, a wormer, and water puriifier today. They have a clean enviroment and free range also.

All the others are absolutely fine (touch wood) will try a bit of mash again tried earlier and she wasn't interested.
Thank you Enola and I hope Mammy feels better soon Happy hairbrain

Last edited:
I am having a similar problem, but mammy is 2 years old. The first day she was very swelled up and lethargic. She's been active eating and drinking ever since. The diarrhea has continued though. I have read everything I could get my hands on and so far I have decided to treat with the smallest guns first. I added epsome salts in food, vinager in water and spoiled milk for probiotics. They all seem happy and active but there's still diarrhea. I am crazy about my chickens. I will try anti biotics, a wormer, and water puriifier today. They have a clean enviroment and free range also.

Epsom salts cause diarrhea in chickens. Your chickens have the symptoms of coccidiosis. None of the treatments you mention will treat coccidiosis. Corid will.

What are you going to worm her with?

Unless you know what you are treating, antibiotics should not just be added to her medications.

Thanks every one, I was going to buy the Backyard Chicken health pack. As I look more closely, I don't think it has an antibiotic. It includes, healthyflock tabs, oxy E-100,and zyfend A. I have been afraid but not conviced that it was coccidosis. But as this is my first flock, what do I know! I guess I may have introduced it when I added chicks this spring. I ended up with two pullets out of six and removed the roo's as soon as they crowed. I have a sweetie Silky roo. Also I am only getting 1-2 eggs per day from 4 adult hens. But mammy continues to lay regular. It is my rir's that quit laying a few months ago. Is my whole flock infected?

If your birds are all sharing soil, food and water, yes treat all of them.
They only way to know if she is drinking enough is to measure.

It has been so wet in the Midwest, makes conditions for coccidia ideal.

Back
Top Bottom