New member. Laying hens & personality

Shawnee Moon

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
Hello. Im new here. My name is Shawnee Moon. I'm 53, divorced and live in northern Wyoming. I will have questions I'm sure. I'm new at this.

I recently moved in with my boyfriend on three acres. There is an existing chicken house and run here which just needs the motorcycle parts hauled out from it. :)
Anyway, I got my Murray McMurray catalog (and there's a co-op here, too) and am shopping for chicks. I am partial to the bigger breeds, and since I'm an animal lover, I want friendly breeds. The girls will be pets as well as egg layers. And, of course, must have names. Anyway, I picked out 4-5 kinds, since the hatcheries require a 25 chick minimum. I chose:
Buff Orpingtons
White Orpingtons
Black Jersey Giants
Barred Rocks

and am looking for a fifth breed, preferably a different color, to round out 5 types of 5 birds each. I don't want the girls squabbling and I don't want bullying. You know what that does to a girl's self esteem.

I'm vegetarian so these will be laying hens/pets. Stray roosters from shipment might end up in a freezer, I d know. (boyfriend eats meat). I like large, colorful eggs, and large, amicable hens. Extra eggs will be sold or given away.

Also, any recommendations or comments on hatcheries, purchasing, etc. I've had exotic parrots but not chickens.

One more thing: we are also putting a vegetable garden in, anything to plant specially for the ladies, or anything that should be avoided?

Thank in advance for your suggestions.

You can never go wrong with EEs (they incorrectly call them araucana/ameraucanas). They are typically smaller bodied so they eat less, have small pea combs that don't tend to get frostbite and who can argue with green eggs? They will also tend to all look different so that adds more diversity.

Chickens love just about anything and everything you grow in the garden. If you have a way to store winter squash, plant enough and squirrel it away for winter treats.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock".

Easter Eggers would be a good idea. I would also recommend the Wyandotte. Mine have been good egg layers, docile, hardy through heat and cold, and very personable and inquisitive. They are a larger bodied bird with beautiful feathering.

Hi :welcome Shawnee

Glad you could join the flock! Hope you can decide on a fifth breed for your new chicken adventure. You are going to have a lovely mixed flock there. Wishing you the very best of luck, be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. All of the breeds you've picked out are docile. For a fifth breed that is colored differently, I would suggest Speckled Sussex. They are beautifully patterned, hardy, friendly and gentle (my children made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

You've picked out some great breeds! For your fifth breed, I would suggest Wyandottes or Easter Eggers.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I personally would suggest buff orpingtons. They are affectionate, docile, great layers, good forgers and very pretty.

Back
Top Bottom