Nyght

Hatching
Apr 11, 2016
Maryland
Well, after wanting to get a few hens for a while, my husband finally agreed. Seems he enjoyed himself collecting eggs on my mother's farm. So now we have a coop in our backyard and we are just waiting for birds. While the coop says 8 I don't think I would want any more than 4 or 5 in there. We have already gotten a feeder, waterer, now I just need to get the bedding, food and well, birds. We are hens only here, no roosters because of town ordnance.

Welcome to BYC - and to the adventure!
As you are concerned about capacity and mention the coop says it is for "up to eight" might I ask if it is a prefabricated unit? If so, you may be right to be concerned as they generally grossly overestimate the capacity of the unit. If you can post either photos or dimensions of the unit we can help you to sort out the matter.
It sounds like you are getting things well in order in preparation for their arrival. Have you settled on breeds yet?

welcome-byc.gif

I hope you enjoy your flock as much as I do mine!

Hi and welcome to BYC - hope you manage to get point of lay pullets, so you know 100% that they are girls!

All the best
CT

My mom has laying hens she may bequeath to us, if not she is working with her farm connections to find us 4-5 birds. They will be laying hens so we will be sure no roos in the mix.

As for what I would like to have, Orpingtons, Lace Wyandotte and Araucana. It is likely going to be luck of the draw though.
  • Size: 79.5 in. x 43 in. x 51.5 in.

Definitely not suitable for 8, even 4 is a bit much for large fowl hens. Will you be able to allow them to range in the yard all day or need to use the little run area to confine them?

They will need to be contained in the run during the day when we are not able to monitor them. We will be letting them out in the yard when we are home however. I was looking at getting 4 anyway, so I shouldn't be too worried about them being crowded?

Back
Top Bottom