orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
Hello! I am from the Bay Area in California, I am excited to be joining Backyard Chickens to learn more about raising healthy and happy chickens.
1) Our family first hatched coturnix quail two summers ago, and we acquired chicken chicks last year. A couple of months ago we hatched 8 quail (100% hatch rate) from the eggs of our original quail, and then gave 5 (extra) males to a local feed store.
2) Currently we have five chickens, which are all named for their breeds: the Dominique is Dominique, the Easter Egger is Ameraucana, the California White is Whitey, the Russian Orloff is Orloff, and the Speckled Sussex is Sussex. Our original quail are named for their characteristics, such as Cinnamon and Curly Toe (whose feet were corrected a few days after hatching), and our more recent quail have Latin names, such as Aurelius and Beatrix.
3) I like interacting with the chickens and watching them enjoy themselves when they are let out into the backyard. It is wonderful, too, to have fresh, colorful eggs every day. I have watched both Orloff and Ameraucana lay an egg!
Other pets I have are: a ball python snake (see image attached), a betta fish, 2 rabbits, and 2 geckos.

Attachments

• IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6273.JPG
    638.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    401 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5676.JPG
    IMG_5676.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3622.JPG
    IMG_3622.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6252.JPG
    IMG_6252.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Dominique, chicken.png
    Dominique, chicken.png
    899.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Whitey, chicken.png
    Whitey, chicken.png
    910 KB · Views: 4
  • Orloff and Ameraucana, chickens.png
    Orloff and Ameraucana, chickens.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5899.JPG
    IMG_5899.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5710.JPG
    IMG_5710.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6559.JPG
    IMG_6559.JPG
    787.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3883.JPG
    IMG_3883.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! I am from the Bay Area in California, I am excited to be joining Backyard Chickens to learn more about raising healthy and happy chickens.
1) Our family first hatched coturnix quail two summers ago, and we acquired chicken chicks last year. A couple of months ago we hatched 8 quail (100% hatch rate) from the eggs of our original quail, and then gave 5 (extra) males to a local feed store.
2) Currently we have five chickens, which are all named for their breeds: the Dominique is Dominique, the Easter Egger is Ameraucana, the California White is Whitey, the Russian Orloff is Orloff, and the Speckled Sussex is Sussex. Our original quail are named for their characteristics, such as Cinnamon and Curly Toe (whose feet were corrected a few days after hatching), and our more recent quail have Latin names, such as Aurelius and Beatrix.
3) I like interacting with the chickens and watching them enjoy themselves when they are let out into the backyard. It is wonderful, too, to have fresh, colorful eggs every day. I have watched both Orloff and Ameraucana lay an egg!
Other pets I have are: a ball python snake (see image attached), a betta fish, 2 rabbits, and 2 geckos.
Hi there! Nice flock you have there!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom