In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
Hello! Just joined! We have 4 chickens.
1 rhode island red named Frankie
1 grey Americana named Becky with the big butt
1 brown americana named Sarah with the sideburns
1 polish chicken named Clementine

They are 9-10 months old.
My husband daughter (9) and I are still learning but doing pretty good with them. We get eggs daily except from our polish chicken. Dont know why.. I went online to Google how to get my chickens to stop pooping on the eggs and thats how I found backyard chickens. After reading what people say I think we are going to close the nesting boxes at night and see if that helps. Also we have too many i think. We have 4 nest boxes. Too many is what I read.

Welcome to BYC!!!
I started with 6 nesting boxes for my first flock of 8. I am now up to 16 pullets/hens and a rooster, they only used 3 of the nesting boxes, so I removed the 3 they don't use. They do just fine without them.

Thanks! Thats so interesting! I had always thought they needed their own box. What if they had to lay at the same time? (Silly question)

Thanks! Thats so interesting! I had always thought they needed their own box. What if they had to lay at the same time? (Silly question)
You will find this comical when you see it! One will loudly complain to the other one to hurry up, the other may already have laid the egg but is being an annoying sister, the impatient one with hop in also. Sometimes the first one will then hop out but if she hadn't laid the egg yet they may both be in there. Chicken drama! Even if you have more than enough boxes, this will still happen because they just have to use the same one 🙄

Hello! Just joined! We have 4 chickens.
1 rhode island red named Frankie
1 grey Americana named Becky with the big butt
1 brown americana named Sarah with the sideburns
1 polish chicken named Clementine

They are 9-10 months old.
My husband daughter (9) and I are still learning but doing pretty good with them. We get eggs daily except from our polish chicken. Dont know why.. I went online to Google how to get my chickens to stop pooping on the eggs and thats how I found backyard chickens. After reading what people say I think we are going to close the nesting boxes at night and see if that helps. Also we have too many i think. We have 4 nest boxes. Too many is what I read.

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom