Welcome to BYC! :) Always great to welcome another Canadian to the forum! Salmon Faverolles can be sexed at two weeks by those who know how to (and as long as the lines are good). In Nova Scotia there are people who will sell them sexed at this age, but I'm not sure about in Alberta. We have four Faverolles hens and absolutely love them :)

The best thing would be to go this route or pick a breed that can be auto-sexed at hatch so that you won't get males. Alternatively, as long as you have plans for the cockerels/roosters, you can raise any breed and just give the males away when you can tell who is what.

Welcome to BYC! :) Always great to welcome another Canadian to the forum! Salmon Faverolles can be sexed at two weeks by those who know how to (and as long as the lines are good). In Nova Scotia there are people who will sell them sexed at this age, but I'm not sure about in Alberta. We have four Faverolles hens and absolutely love them :)

The best thing would be to go this route or pick a breed that can be auto-sexed at hatch so that you won't get males. Alternatively, as long as you have plans for the cockerels/roosters, you can raise any breed and just give the males away when you can tell who is what.
Thanks so much. I'm really hoping to find some in Alberta or that can be shipped, they sound so sweet. But great advice about earlier sexed hens as well. We are looking at alternates for a rooster, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom