Dafty Duck

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Hi: new to byc, Started with 75 chickens -iso browns- last fall. Bought 300 leghorns from Huderites this spring. Traded some for roosters-5 for 5- Free ranging -learning fast- already had lice- dealt with it. roosters have scaly legs -not sure how to remedy that- have more eggs than can keep up with. Not sure if I would recommend starting this way to any one else but it is enjoyable. Some one asked my daughter where my grand daughter lived and not thinking about it she told the person in the hen house. lol. people in the neighbor hood are starting to realize that there is a difference between free range eggs and store bought. i think that in time the demand will come up to my supply but in the meantime not sure what to do with the extras. Farmers market maybe. I think that's it for now. My chickens are calling me from outside my window. Better go feed them.
wee.gif

Welcome to BYC! That is quite an egg operation you have there. I'm not in the egg business. However, in my very limited egg experience I have found that every time I give someone some eggs they want more. In fact they seem a little disappointed that it was more of and occasional thing, not a regular thing. Maybe you could spread the word by giving away "promotional" eggs. Get them hooked, they will be back for more.

Egg-stra inventory is a tricky thing - I take it you have looking into the licensing/certification process for your locality with regards to the distribution of eggs? It varies from place to place with regards to things such as transporting off property for distribution vs. having people come to your home to carry out the transaction, etc - which would come into play with the Farmer's Market idea. Knowing the specifics for your locality will help in offering possible ways to boost your demand. Have you posted on your local Buy/Sell/Trade pages on FB, etc? Many even have "farm fresh" type sites where they are geared specifically to people who have produce, eggs, meat, etc that is home-raised.
In the meantime, you can cook some of the eggs (scrambled or boiled) and feed them back to your flock, it's a fabulous way to give them a nice protein boost and they'll love it!

We have looked into all local legalities and were quite surprised to see what we are able to do. So far we have them posted on Kijiji. I like the idea of offering eggs as samples. There are not many farms around here that sell eggs at all let alone what we are selling. So educating locals around here is definitely a must. We are selling our eggs at $3.50 for free range instead of the going price of $2.00 for normal eggs around here. I forgot to mention that these are also organic. We were looking for Organic free range for ourselves and couldn't find any so we decided to start producing our own. I talked to our local organic society and was told the we will be the first certified organic egg producer for back yard chickens in the area so I suspect things will pick up for us. Last fall we were offered the 75 chicken from farmers that we knew that didn't have a heated shed so we ended up getting these ones free and this spring we got the 300 from the huderites at $1.50 per bird -couldn't pass that up- Don't know where things will go from here but I definitely don't want to get any bigger. This is enough of an experience.

Back
Top Bottom