New menber

msanstead

Hatching
May 10, 2016
Hello my name is Marylynn I'm a new member of backyard chickens but have had chickens on and off my whole life and the last coops I built in 1993 I've had several times when my kids ( chickens) have been sick and tried things locally From feed stores. I have a hen now she is very slow, slow to eat and has poop on her backside a brownish-green color. I'd like help on illness, cures.

Hello Marylynn and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am sorry about your hen. Lots of reasons a birds butt gets pooped up. If her backside has a really foul odor to it, she could have Vent Gleet. This is basically a yeast infection in the intestinal tract. You should get her cleaned up and maybe even trim back some of her feathers so she stays cleaner and the yeasts don't multiply as much near her vent. You can then slather on some vaginal cream on the area around her vent and right inside her vent as well. Get her on probiotics as well. Either in the water or as yogurt or both. Vaginal cream can also be used internally as well. 1 cc 3 times a day down the throat so that it attacks the yeast directly.

Greenish diarrhea can also mean liver or intestinal infections. Even reproductive cancer can cause green poop. As does not eating much. When ever a bird doesn't eat or drink enough, the liver floods the intestines with green bile.

Have you checked for for egg binding? Put on a disposable glove and go gently into the vent straight back. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it right there within the first inch. Any further back and the egg is still in the uterus getting a shell on.

Has she been wormed in the past year? Worms are killers of poultry. They multiply in biblical proportions in the intestines, eating all the birds food eventually strangulating and rupturing the intestinal walls, killing the bird. So if she has not been wormed recently, I would go ahead and worm her.

You should also make a new thread on this in our emergency section for more help with this...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck and I hope she makes a full recovery!! :)

Two Crows has given you a wealth of information. So I will just say Welcome to Backyard chickens, and I hope there is a treatment for your hen.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom