New Mexico

Hey There NM folk!! I'm here in NW ABQ and wondered: Do any of you put heat lamps out during the winter? This is our 2nd winter in NM and my first with outdoor fowl. I have both quail and chickens - both coops face South.

Any advice or input - most appreciated!

Last edited:
>Also curious to ask about your coops. What kind of flooring/bedding do you feel is best here in the desert? We just have dirt right now but I'm >not really happy with it, as it is difficult to clean well. We generally hose it down then rake, but it leave lots of manure no matter how hard you >rake- very messy when the boys get in there, as invariably happens when they are outside. If you get all the manure you end up getting too >much dirt with it. I am trying to convince DH to pour some concrete and put shaving in, but he thinks that would be more difficult to manage. >Any opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

We have dirt with straw on it, which we rake up and put in other parts of the yard. I either use straw or pet bedding in the nesting boxes. But I know someone here who installed a garage floor rubber surface (I've seen it at Home Depot) so she can hose it off, and she seemed to be happy with it.

When I had chickens in Mountainair (6500 feet) we didn't put a heat lamp on them and they did fine, no eggs in the winter though. Of course, last winter was freakishly cold, and I'm glad I wasn't keeping chickens then or they would have had to come into the house! I'm bedding my current chickens in alfalfa "cow hay" and they love pecking through it. I rake it up, it makes great compost, and I'm not raking up too much dirt, and the chickens like to be able to get down to the dirt for dust baths. Of course, I'm able to move my coop when they dig big holes, so this may not be an option for you.

I live Northeast of Santa Fe in Pecos and I don't use a heat lamp. They seem pretty content without it. I just make sure their coop is draft free as much as possible and that's it. I have openings high up on the roof for ventilation. I do have a bunch of pullets that are a little over a month old that I am using a lamp for right now but I plan on making this heater for them http://cmfarm.us/pvc-heater.html

Four Corners Poultry Show Nov. 5, 2011

CH. Feather-legged Buff Bantam Cockerel Open show
51721_02.jpg

CH. LF Black Cochin Hen Youth show
51721_four_corner_poultry_show_11-5-2011_059.jpg

Reserve CH. Feather-legged Buff Brahma Pullet Youthy Show
51721_four_corner_poultry_show_11-5-2011_068.jpg

BB Blue Ameraucana Cockerel Open Show
51721_four_corner_poultry_show_11-5-2011_072_-_copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom