New Mexico

Should I put antibiotic powder in the water for the new chicks? A person who was looking at the chicks when I was at the feedstore buying my chicks on Thursday suggested I add some antibiotic powder to their water for the first week if the feed I had didn't already have it. When I got home I checked that my Feed and Grow was not medicated. I have not gone back to the feed store (Village Mercantile in Corrales) for it yet but just wanted to get people's feelings about using it. How do I know when to use it otherwise? My wife phoned me at work to tell me that one of the chicks seems lethargic and not hanging out with the other 3. When she opened the lid to hold it, it made no effort to escape, the way the other 3 did. Being new to raising chickens, I don't really know what to look for.
I don't use medicated feed. I don't use antibiotics in the water. I put probiotic and electrolytes in the water. Probiotic to help keep them "regular" (if you know what I mean) and electrolytes to help them to recover from shipping or hatching. I hatch my own though, so I know that they don't have any diseases. Someone that buys hatchery stock may have some ideas for you.

I picked up a black sex link and a golden sex link along with some probiotic powder yesterday. The two new chicks seem to be fitting in with the 3 I already had fairly well. They are all the same age so fairly similar in size. I was worried about adding day-olds in with my week-olds.

I picked up a black sex link and a golden sex link along with some probiotic powder yesterday. The two new chicks seem to be fitting in with the 3 I already had fairly well. They are all the same age so fairly similar in size. I was worried about adding day-olds in with my week-olds.
I'm so glad that they are working out together! Make sure you keep the brooder warm enough for the day olds. Congrats!

The two I added are both a week old, same as the first three. I didn't get the day-olds because I was worried about them getting picked on and the temperature differences.

Chicken math got me today. Lol. Went to pick up layer pellets. Left with layer pellet, baby feed and 3 new babies.... ( another wyndotte, a black ast. And a cukoo marans.... ) well at least they make up for my 3 deaths...might need a few more. Just to make sure. Lol

Chicken math got me today. Lol. Went to pick up layer pellets. Left with layer pellet, baby feed and 3 new babies.... ( another wyndotte, a black ast. And a cukoo marans.... ) well at least they make up for my 3 deaths...might need a few more. Just to make sure. Lol
I've got the incubator addiction. I put in 6 eggs, 4 hatched.....put in 9 eggs, 6 hatched....put in 36 eggs....OMG! Need to build a new coop!

clap.gif

Back
Top Bottom