Turn on the lights for new layers this winter?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Sundog-Rockboy

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2019
Coming up on my first winter with the chickens, and I’m very thankful for all the winterizing advice I’ve received here. (“No heat, no heat, no heat” is my mantra).

I have two buffs and a barred rock. Her sister met an unhappy fate with a hawk last month, and the loss was a hard pill to swallow.

We were a little overconfident letting our girls free range in the yard, even when we left the house for a couple of hours.

The flock of three now stays pretty close to the house when they free range, only venturing out farther if their human companions are outside.

They will be 6 months old in a few weeks, and I’m wondering if we can still expect any eggs with the cold settling in. Is it true that if I turn a light on outside in the evening, that may encourage laying? Thanks, my new community!

546DB255-54F1-44E5-81BD-F86796A19408.jpeg

As mentioned, they will likely lay regardless. I want to be sure that you understand keeping a hen laying un-naturally is not good for their overall health, and it’s what they do to the commercial layers. If you do choose to keep them laying each winter, consider giving them a break for a month or two. Maybe start the artificial light in February.

Welcome to the forum. I, too, live in Minnesota. Although many people advise no heat, I'm not sure that is the best advice for our Minnesota winters. Last winter, the temps where I live got down to -40F for about 2 weeks without a break. Many local chicken owners lost chickens due to the extreme cold during that period. Our local L&M Fleet store sold out on all their Cozy Coop radiant heaters because of the heavy losses by chicken owners. Those radiant heaters are low wattage and only warm the birds standing directly in front of it, not the entire coop.

I did not have chickens last year, but I was planning on getting them in the spring. I talked to a number of bird owners who told me that they never used any heat in their coops, but last winter's 2 week period of -40F was just too much for their small flocks. Anyway, this will be my first winter with laying hens. I don't currently have any heat in the coop, but I did buy a Cozy Coop radiant heater in case it gets back down to those -40F temps. If I start to have bird loss due to the extreme cold, I'll be plugging in that heater.

I don't plan on using any lights to lengthen daytime hours and trick my hens into laying more eggs. If they slow down this winter, that is fine with me.

Hope to hear more from you in the future. Take care.

Back
Top Bottom