New, naive, and completely lost!!!

Welcome! My husband and I are building up to our homestead as well! Right now we're in the middle of suburbia with two hives of bees, three ducks (Cayugas, also prolific layers and big meat birds), three chickens, and a vegetable garden. We've been adding a little more each year over the years. We add just a little bit more each year as we go along and learn so we don't overwhelm ourselves with an operation we don't know how to handle.

I wholeheartedly support research, research, and more research before you buy! Research till your head feels like it's going to explode! More information on hand before you start is time well spent. I also suggest that if possible, volunteering to work on a farm if a friend owns one, or joining a WOOF'ing http://wwoofinternational.org/ program for a little while, or volunteer at a farm animal sanctuary to get some hands-on working experience. It's one thing to read about how to trim a goat's hooves, it's another to actually get your hands on a hoof and practice with the clippers...you will also be building connections to other farmers in your community so you have people to call for help and recommendations. Don't skimp on getting those connections and that knowledge, you WILL be thanking your lucky stars you did!

Now, for your questions:

Yes, Muscovy drakes will put the moves on your Khaki Campbells, and if you don't want Muscovy-Khaki crossbreed ducklings, they will need to be kept apart. You don't need a male for eggs, but if you want your Khakis to have ducklings eventually, you will need a male Khaki.

Typically you can expect one Muscovy to be able to provide 1 to 2 meals worth of meat for a family of four. Typically one bird is one week's worth of meals for my husband and I. It really depends on how much processing you want to do all in one sitting (and trust me on this, processing from killing the bird to plucking, to cleaning is WAY more time consuming and laborious than it looks...you will be sweating from the workout they provide!) and how much freezer space you have. I recommend starting with a minimum small order or so (most hatcheries require an order of 15-20 chicks min. for shipping) to learn the process start to finish with. You can always order more later except over winter. Keeping to a minimum to start and not going for broke is going to save your butt as you work out the kinks of learning farm life!

I second the recommendation of 1 male to 4 females.

Muscovies are not prolific layers, typically about 90-100 eggs a year. They are also very broody which interferes with egg production, and unless you get a broody hen, you will need an incubator in order to hatch eggs. They typically lose about 10 to 20% of their egg production for every year of life, however plenty of people around here have ducks that haven't slowed their production at age 8 or 9.

As time goes on and the more you learn, you'll start getting a sense for how you want to run your breeding program, what traits you want to breed for, and who might be a good addition versus who won't. If you're breeding for meat, big and healthy with a good temperament is what I look for in the parents as well as good husbandry of their eggs. Poor breeders, poor layers, and poor mothers won't do and are taken for meat.

Also, this may seem like a very silly question, but have you and your family ever eaten duck eggs before? I ask because I've met a lot of disappointed duck owners who got ducks hoping for eggs without realizing that duck eggs have a different texture and flavor than a chicken egg. If your ducks have access to a pond or free-ranging, then fish, slugs, snails, lizards, and frogs all impart a slight fishy taste to the eggs.

Some like the differences between duck and chicken eggs, some REALLY hate it, and others honestly can't tell the difference, but if you've never eaten a duck egg before, I very strongly suggest you find some and try them first before you waste your money on raising ducks for eggs.

Hope I've helped with advice and questions! I am so excited and happy for you and that your dream of a homestead is coming true! My husband and I are still noobs at it, but we LOVE it and are just thrilled to death and loving every minute of this adventure! :)
Ibicella,
Thanks for the thorough reply :D Like you, my husband and I are hoping to slowly add to our homestead. I think by doing it this way we will learn about each animal more thoroughly. Although I have to admit at times I just want to hurry up and get it going already!!

I just googled a Cayuga
ep.gif
Stunning! I have not read a whole lot on ducks (several web pages and a book) and I am surprised the Cayuga was not mentioned. I think I will have to convince my husband to purchase some as well.

I will be getting some hands-on experience soon. The woman I purchase our duck eggs from is more than happy to have some assistance processing her ducks. From the way you described the work I can see why lol.

We have chosen Muscovy ducks for meat because we heard that their meat is absolutely delicious! Less greasy and more flavorful than regular duck but that might just be hearsay...

Thank you for telling me about WWOOF! I will definitely be joining and signing up for as many farms as I can :D Im thrilled to hear that you and your husband enjoy the adventure! I don't think Ive ever spoken to someone that regretted their choice to become more independent-thats so REASSURING!

hi eilis83 welcome. I have 4 girls 2 Cayuga and 1 blue Swedish ,1 hybrid from Metza farms. all my girls lay every day I have had them for over a year now. I am trying to start a farm so when I retire in 2 years hopefully have something going. right now I have ducks and geese and 2 donkeys I hope to add a couple of sheep for meat and wool. I wish you luck. oh I have duclaires ducks for meat they are suppose to be a good tasting duck, well have to see.

I have Anconas which are a dual purpose duck, great egg layers and also used for meat. Personally I love their personalities and their looks more than my Rouens. Not that it matters to a lot of farm people but my Rouens are WAY louder than my Anconas, holy cow do they quack. A lot!
lol.png

You all know so much lol! Wow, I came to the right place.

Something else just occurred to me since you're doing homesteading. I can't believe I forgot about this.

You'll need to check your local, state, and the federal regulations, but there are tax breaks that can come into play with any or all of those. There are some you qualify for only if you're keeping heritage or endangered breeds. Once you find out whether that's a factor in your area, it might influence what breeds of ducks you choose.

Back
Top Bottom