New Quail Owner

No tips. Just wanted to say I'm in the same boat! New to quail and new to incubating. It's been a super exciting experience. My eggs arrived last week though. They're anticipated hatch day is March 16!

I have coturnix, too.
  • For the first three weeks, they need to be in a brooder with supplemental heat.
    • I use a ceramic heater meant for reptile cages and have it hanging on a tripod that enables it to hang over a corner of the brooder.
  • For the first week after hatch, I keep the temperature in that corner at about 95 F, then raise the tripod enough to drop the temp to 90 for the second week, then 85 for the third week.
  • Make sure they have a cooler area to escape to in case they get to hot.
  • If they're all huddled under the heater, they're cold. If they're scattered away and rarely under the heater, it's too hot.
  • Make sure they have plenty of water at all times
  • feed them a game bird starter crumble that's around 28% protein for the first three weeks, then you can transition them to feed with a lower protein %. Recommendations for protein level vary, but I try to keep above 20% at all times.
  • Make sure the brooder floor isn't slick. I use the blue paper shop towels that can be found at auto parts stores and just put down a layer of them.
  • My current brooder is simply a plastic tote. I don't have any other pets, so I don't bother covering the top of the brooder for the first week or so, but as soon as they start trying to fly, I put some window screen material over the top and attach it with binder clips.
  • When the birds are three weeks old and fully feathered, it's time to move them into their grow out or breeder cages.
  • At about 6 weeks, you'll start getting some eggs.

I’ll differ from Clifton on a couple points.
1-Keep them on the high protein starter feed to maturity, nearer 8 weeks.
2. By 10 days, they should be feathered out enough to be fine at room temps (70°)

I'll add that teaching them to use a drinking system other than an open container of water is a big labor saver. I start teaching them on a tiny rodent bottle at a few days, move them up to rabbit bottle, then horizontal drinking nipples by the time they leave the brooder.

They're low maintenance, rewarding livestock. Have fun!

Thank you!! Might be a dumb question but how did you teach them to use the rodent bottle? I had issues with my chicks constantly spilling their waterer

Back
Top Bottom