New, smaller hens being chased/harried

We have 8 hens and a rooster about 3 years old which we have raised from hatching. I think they're RI reds.
About a year ago we added a pair of buff orpingtons and a pair of australorps. These were initially timid but are fairly well integrated now.

About 3 weeks ago we added 4 leghorns into the flock. We'd already had them for about 5 weeks and kept them in the pen but fenced off from the others, so they could be seen but not reached.

I'm seeing 8 original hens, 1 rooster, 2 orpingtons, 2 australorps, 4 leghorns. So that's 17 total.

The big pen is about 5m x 4m.

That sounds big enough for 17 chickens, even if they were confined to it day & night. And you've said they have even more space in the daytime. (For those of us used to working with feet: it's more than 200 square feet.)

I'm seeing 8 original hens, 1 rooster, 2 orpingtons, 2 australorps, 4 leghorns. So that's 17 total.
That's what I added up too.

Pen is great but coop is not.....they need solid shelter for inclement weather, rare as it might be.

Pen is great but coop is not.....they need solid shelter for inclement weather, rare as it might be.

I grant that a roof over the roosting area might be an improvement, but they've obviously been fine for several years now.

I grant that a roof over the roosting area might be an improvement, but they've obviously been fine for several years now.
Except for
About 3 weeks ago we added 4 leghorns into the flock. We'd already had them for about 5 weeks and kept them in the pen but fenced off from the others, so they could be seen but not reached.

Back
Top Bottom