New to cattle~Is it what I am looking for?

ThePigeonKid

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
I have a chance to get a Jersey Bull Calf, 2 weeks old, had scour guard, still on bottle but eating grain and hay for $75. I heard that they are good to raise for meat. Is it worth it, how long will it take to reach butchering size (what size would that be)? I was thinking about asking if they will take $50 if this is what I am wanting. What types of risks are there in buying one this young? I have electric fence and thought since it holds in goats it would work for cattle. Am I correct? Thanks for any and all input!

Well, not to put this bluntly, but... (IMO) NO! NO! NO! DO NOT BUY A DAIRY CALF IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MEAT! Been there done that! (with a Holstein, and I have friends who raised Jerseys and it took them longer to butcher than the Holsteins) It's going to take you probably 2 1/2 - 3 years to finish it out where as a beef cow is only going to take about 18 months. Not only will it take longer but a Dairy cow is going to eat you out of house and home in the process because they are bred for making milk, not putting on meat/fat.

Well, not to put this bluntly, but... (IMO) NO! NO! NO! DO NOT BUY A DAIRY CALF IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR MEAT! Been there done that! (with a Holstein, and I have friends who raised Jerseys and it took them longer to butcher than the Holsteins) It's going to take you probably 2 1/2 - 3 years to finish it out where as a beef cow is only going to take about 18 months. Not only will it take longer but a Dairy cow is going to eat you out of house and home in the process because they are bred for making milk, not putting on meat/fat.
Oh, Thanks!

This: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Yes,+Jersey+bulls+make+good+beef!-a018261029 is what I seen that made me think I could.

It does take awhile to get it to weight but, we have 2 Holstein bulls we are raising for meat. They forage mostly and I don't find them very expensive to feed. Now keeping them confined Is another matter those suckers are always getting lose. Thank the good lord they are at dd,s and not here!
Thier names are steak and cheeseburger. One we are going to turn into nothing but hamburger and the other butchered into cuts of beef. We also gota twin dairy cow who since it was a twin will never have milk and we will butcher her also. She does not eat us out of house and home either and gentler then the bulls. Got the dairy cow free and the bulls were 25$ each! I want to butcher the dairy cow but grand daughter has taking a liking to her, rides her like a horse lol

We have had them a year and will butcher next spring.

if you are looking for the best deal do not buy a bucket calf milk is expensive and time vonsuming if u want meat buy a 300 - 500 around 6 month beef calf at ur local auction for a great deal and fatten it up for about a year or so... gpt any qs ask me born and raised on a beef farm

It does take awhile to get it to weight but, we have 2 Holstein bulls we are raising for meat. They forage mostly and I don't find them very expensive to feed. Now keeping them confined Is another matter those suckers are always getting lose. Thank the good lord they are at dd,s and not here!
Thier names are steak and cheeseburger. One we are going to turn into nothing but hamburger and the other butchered into cuts of beef. We also gota twin dairy cow who since it was a twin will never have milk and we will butcher her also. She does not eat us out of house and home either and gentler then the bulls. Got the dairy cow free and the bulls were 25$ each! I want to butcher the dairy cow but grand daughter has taking a liking to her, rides her like a horse lol

We have had them a year and will butcher next spring.
Are you sure? Heifer calves born with a twin bull, ( are called free martins) can not breed. However, if her twin was also a girl then you "shouldn't" have a problem. If you're not sure, and especially since your grand daughter is so attached, I think your vet should be able to sleeve her and tell you if she has all of her "parts."

I did not know that, her twin was a bull I just took the farmers word for it. We delivered a horse to him and he had the calf and he gave it to us saying it would never have milk. The bulls we had castrated and de horned though ones dehorning didn't take and has horns. My dd hates them...though it was her idea. She likes the heifer says she would have a hard time killing it. She would have no problem walking out and shooting the bulls though.

Dairy breeds do not make much meat. They are bred to produce milk. Jerseys are pretty small and seems like they NEVER put any meat on their bones. A 2 week old bottle calf is not a good idea, especially since you don't have much experience. I would say try to find a beef calf a little older, (weaned) Sometimes you can find a beef/dairy crossbred, they are a little better than straight dairy.

Dairy breeds do not make much meat. They are bred to produce milk. Jerseys are pretty small and seems like they NEVER put any meat on their bones. A 2 week old bottle calf is not a good idea, especially since you don't have much experience. I would say try to find a beef calf a little older, (weaned) Sometimes you can find a beef/dairy crossbred, they are a little better than straight dairy.
Down my way, beef breeds cost $300 at one week old.
th.gif
That’s why when I seen the Jersey for $75 and this article - Yes, Jersey bulls make good beef! – it just made me think. Just curious, but when you raised Jersey what did you feed them? How old did you grow them up to be? What breed are you raising now? And what do you like/not like about that breed?
Thanks! :)
TPK

Back
Top Bottom