New to cattle~Is it what I am looking for?

Yes, I do believe that a 1 week old beef would cost $300 in most areas. The reason being is that it doesn't cost the average farmer much to raise that calf to weaning (unlike dairy farmers who want to steal momma's milk, if a beef farmer took a cow's calf away, there would really be no point because they are not going to get anything else out of that momma cow for the rest of the year. Have you looked at weanling prices? You should be able to find a weanling for a decent price ($0.95-1.15 lb) this would only be a couple hundred more than a week old calf, but will have gained you six months and 400lbs.

Does that make sense?

I agree, you should try to find something already weaned, the cost in the end would be about the same, more $ up front, but less time invested and no expensive milk replacer. Bottle/bucket calves are a LOT of work, and prone to getting sick. If you are really stuck on the idea of a baby calf do you live anywhere near a dairy? Sometimes dairys will use beef bulls (usually Angus) so they can sell their day-old calves easier. A dairy/beef cross can be a decent beef animal.
As far as your other question about your fencing. If you have electric fencing that keeps goats in, you should have no problem keeping a calf there.

Last edited:
Yes, if you have goat milk you will be much safer getting a bottle calf. Everything thrives on goat milk!
X2 (but I still wouldn't go with the dairy calf
old.gif
)

Last edited:
Just one other point on the Jersey bull endeavor. I'm told by my dairy cow mentor that more men at meat processing centers are hurt by mad Jersey bulls than any other breed. Jersey bulls are dangerous especially if they've been bottle fed according to my friend because they attach themselves to you as a friend and then knock you down and step on you. I was going to keep a mini bull here to breed my mini Jersey but the costs involved in keeping a bull all year for one day when he's useful was pretty stupid. Though we DO intend to eat any bulls we throw, but they'll be miniatures so not a lot of meat is an understatement.

Just one other point on the Jersey bull endeavor. I'm told by my dairy cow mentor that more men at meat processing centers are hurt by mad Jersey bulls than any other breed. Jersey bulls are dangerous especially if they've been bottle fed according to my friend because they attach themselves to you as a friend and then knock you down and step on you. I was going to keep a mini bull here to breed my mini Jersey but the costs involved in keeping a bull all year for one day when he's useful was pretty stupid. Though we DO intend to eat any bulls we throw, but they'll be miniatures so not a lot of meat is an understatement.
Years ago, my Dad was a Cal. State Brand Inspector, he went to a lot of dairys and packing plants and yes, the bulls of dairy breeds are known for very bad tempers. In the old days before A.I. The dairys had to be very careful with their bulls because they were so dangerous!
I hope by now you have decided against the Jersey calf. It is like going shopping and using a coupon to buy something you don't need just because it is cheap!

Years ago, my Dad was a Cal. State Brand Inspector, he went to a lot of dairys and packing plants and yes, the bulls of dairy breeds are known for very bad tempers. In the old days before A.I. The dairys had to be very careful with their bulls because they were so dangerous!
I hope by now you have decided against the Jersey calf. It is like going shopping and using a coupon to buy something you don't need just because it is cheap!
Good Analogy
goodpost.gif

We raise Holsteins & the males are tasty :) Castrate & dehorn any males if you are going to keep them til maturity cause those hormones aren't fun to deal with. Raising steers is only cost efficient if you have good pasture & don't have to supplement much. They eat like horses. The meat is tasty & tender. I would never knock a young specimen of a dairy breed on taste. The bottom line is how much you have to put into it to get the product. If it's gonna cost you, you're better off with a beef breed which will gain more weight for the amount of food & quicker. If you happen to have good grazing, goat milk etc, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a cheap dairy calf or two for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom