New to Chickenry

They will have to deal with 5ftsq each until I open the door when I get home from work. I was told the tractor's capacity was 12 large chickens..
The 4-5 sq feet per chicken recommended a lot is speaking about sleeping room mostly as at night, they just sit in one spot. But when all locked up in that same area for days at a time, they'll start picking on each other. For example, here in Wisconsin, mine were locked up last winter for 2 weeks straight as we had -20F and lower temps with high winds.

They will have to deal with 5ftsq each
They may or may not. Overcrowding is the number one reason for bad behavioral problems and hygiene and health issues. It is why battery hens are de-beaked. They are so overcrowded that they start to peck relentlessly at their flock mates causing injuries up to and including cannibalism.

@CajunRoo :frow Welcome from New Orleans, howdy neighbor! So sorry to hear about your cockerel. :hit hopefully you can take a little time to do some research on what type of Cock bird you wish to keep with the breeds you already have.
I don't know if this is doable, but could you add on to your tractor to give the birds a little more space?
There are some great articles on coop building here. you may want to take a gander:gig

Back
Top Bottom