New to chickens 5 mixed breed and 1 rir

sawilliams

Songster
Nov 12, 2015
Nor Cal
this is Mildred she was a stray (possible release) from my parents neighborhood. We are certain she is rir but not site on her age, she is at least a year or 2 or older lays 2-3 days and 1 day off.
these are the older 3 of 5 mixed we got from a freind. Henrietta the red lays a light tan almost pink egg, Marshall the white and sand, is mothering the 2 younger, and black betty she appears mostly black astroloph but appears to have a pea comb instead of a single comb. They should be between 4-6 months of age. Marshall and Betty have not started laying in the 3 weeks we have had them so far.

Brown road runner and Road runner, these are the youngest 2 and u think in this picture they are 5-7 weeks old. So about 7-10 weeks now.

So the friend I got the 5 from said she had rir, black astroloph, colored dorking and a few others. Right now I'm going worth they are all easter Eggers more or less as we don't know the exact mixes. I'm hoping one might give us blue green eggs but for now mildred's brown and henrietta's pink are fine. If anything I want to better idea thier ages as I'm not site if betty is still a bit young or just still to stressed from the move. We made a few adjustments in our coop a few days ago and today she finally seems more social then normal

Your "RIR" seems to be a little light in the red. It's hard to tell what it really could be. The black one is a Black Sex Link, the light red one could be a Red Star. The remaining one in that picture could come from a RIR cross with i.e. White Rocks or other white chicken breeds. The red / black one is a cross. Your guess is as good as mine. The white one with red flecks could be RIR with i.e. White Rocks, or a combination of many other white chicken breeds. That's as good as I could get it for you without a DNA test.

welcome-byc.gif

What a pretty mixed flock!

Marshall and Betty don't look quite mature enough to be laying yet. Their combs are still a more pale color, not the nice bright red of the two layers. I think you just need to give them some time, probably get eggs from them in the next month or so. They look close, just not there yet.

this bird looks like possibly a gold laced Wyandotte, or a high percentage thereof.

Is this bird ill? Or did you just snap a pic while it was dozing? It just looks all puffed up and like it's hunkered down, not feeling good.

The little white one "road runner" was just resting, she's being doing really well the past few weeks. It was later in the day when we brought them home. And after checking inspecting, and wing trimming especially the smaller 2 were just ready for a rest.I need to try to get better pictures soon

I am a bit worried this morning thought. Our coop door some how can open last night or this morning and the chickens got into the main yard where my dog is. Fortunately she didn't hurt any of the birds but she was chasing and harassing them. I got her put up and rounded up all the birds back into the coop and chickeb yard. But I can't find Marshall, the tan and white. I think she must have jumped the fence but we searched the neighborhood with no luck. There are no signs that our dog actually got or injured any of them. I'm just sad becuase Marshall is the one that takes care of the 2 little ones. But I'm sure they are 8-10 weeks old now and should be ok

welcome-byc.gif

What a pretty mixed flock!

Marshall and Betty don't look quite mature enough to be laying yet. Their combs are still a more pale color, not the nice bright red of the two layers. I think you just need to give them some time, probably get eggs from them in the next month or so. They look close, just not there yet.

this bird looks like possibly a gold laced Wyandotte, or a high percentage thereof.

Is this bird ill? Or did you just snap a pic while it was dozing? It just looks all puffed up and like it's hunkered down, not feeling good.
x2

We did find her. She got into the garage and hide under the fridge. I had been keeping the dog inside just incase till hubby got home to find a fix for the coop door latch. When I let her (the dog) roam free again she stated freaking out by the fridge. I though just maybe... then I heard her cluck. I ran to the front of the house to get my husband who was about to pull out of the drive to go to the store and just yelled "daisy found marshall." I grabbed the dog and put her on her lead while hubby pulled the fridge or so we could get to her. Almost immediately when I put her back in the chicken yard you could see the 2 young pullets happy as heck run to her in excitement. It was a huge relief to find her safe and so close

So I was trying to get some better more recent pictures of my girls now that they are in the coop.
this is marshall, and yes I agree her comb is still very light.

betty she tends to be my loner bird always hiding and staying back from the rest
Henrietta, she seems to have taken second in comand, she's a little more upset then the others about the dog right now.
of course Mildred she's the lead hen.
road runner, she must have been hiding in the coop still when I found the door open. I thought she was missing too but after getting the ones I could find back in the chicken yard she was over there with them.
and brown road runner, she is a brave little girl already standing up to Mildred and Henrietta, I think she might try to take lead hen someday

Last edited:
With the new pic, brown Runner is not a Wyandotte like I'd thought. How old is the bird? I'm wondering about gender from the color, but that comb is female looking.

Back
Top Bottom