New to chickens and my new baby chics!

Loosewheel

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2023
I am new to raising chickens and definitely new to raising baby chics. I had a broody hen that was setting and the little ones are now hatching. I'm unsure as to what to do now. Do I separate them? Do I leave them with the flock? I have 4 hens and a rooster. Unsure of breeds but look like maybe golden comets. Any advice is much appreciated!!

Congrats & welcome!

I'm probably not the best for advise on broody hatched chicks since I haven't had a broody yet :fl, but I've seen posts on it. Lots of people say that leaving the hen & chicks with the flock is easiest since you won't have to do any integrating later, but it should only be done if the mama hen is high enough in the pecking order that she can protect the chicks. I would keep them close to the flock, maybe separated slightly so they can see but not touch, until you know the mama can protect them.

Too many roosters and not much room or not much food would make the rooster kill chicks if he can or must. But if he is nice and there is plenty of food about then they should be just fine. After all, they are his kids. So as a rule, it's ok. If they start getting injuries you can't explain, separate them until they are bigger than oranges.

They'll need their own turn in the yard if you can arrange it, or a separate pen. chicks need too eat poo flavored things, yeah, I know, but it's to start up the bugs in their gut which digest food. They get those bugs from their flock.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I wanted to watch them a few days before I reposted. Turned out the 3 other hens, especially the top hen, did not take the babies well. I guess mama was the lowest in the pecking order. So, I have since built them a new coop and run where they can be together but separate. Thank you all so so much for the advice and this wonderful website where chicken owners can learn from each other. I love my chickens and the advice helps more than you know to be the best owner I can. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom