new to chickens, coop for 2-4 chickens?

Welcome to BYC!!

Yes, indeed it is...like getting a sip of water from a a full on fire hose.

I infer from you avatar you already have chicks?
So you're under the gun to get it done....
....or do you have time to research, plan and build??
ETA: just read your intro...that friend is not a friend IMO(mostly kidding).

Buying or building a shed is a good suggestion...it will have plenty of space and can be used as a shed if you decide chickens are not for you.
The super-cute coops you see all over farm stores and the internet are junk,
tho they can have their uses one of them is not your main coop.

Where in the world are you?
Climate is everything, so putting your location in your profile is very helpful,
it's easy to do and then it's always there.
View attachment 1379590
oh I guess i do need add my location, thank you SO MUCH so pointing that out :) Im in Reno Nv, so we are dry mostly. summer get up to 100 degrees but winter can be as low as 0! sometimes even a few degrees negative but not for long. I do already have chicks. 2 of them! and i think we are going to add 2 more to have an even 4 and hope we have no males, but we wont know for awhile. Buying a shed is a brilliant idea... and using a caged dog run as my chicken run is also so smart. I have been researching so much i have a feeling im going to turn into a crazy chicken lady!!!! I kind of love them already ;)

image.jpg

This is a pic of what we were able to build with under $300 to work with, run, concrete blocks for under the perimeter, and sand included. Just an example, many people can house their chickens for less.

Even for only 4 chicks, I recommend at least a 4 x 8 walk in style coop. You can repurpose it as a tool shed, potting shed, kid's play house... if you decide that chickens are not your bag.

Ventilation, ventilation, ventilation!!! Even when winters get down to 0*F. My winters often go to minus 20, and I have days and weeks at a time when I don't see any positive digits.

Avoid the pre-fabs, and avoid the "short coops".

Remember that chicken wire will keep chickens in but it will not keep predators out!

Yup, I would have used hard ware cloth or something stronger than chicken wire but I'm lucky as predator problems here very minimal :) My yard is fenced in so that helps with dogs but I still keep my girls confined, we do have hawks, cats, mongoose & rats ... Although I had some RIR once, they cornered a rat in the enclosure & didn't know what to do except squawk. Hubby used the BB Gun (not a very good shot) my was was efficient = Shovel on the head :)

oh I guess i do need add my location, thank you SO MUCH so pointing that out :) Im in Reno Nv, so we are dry mostly. summer get up to 100 degrees but winter can be as low as 0! sometimes even a few degrees negative but not for long. I do already have chicks. 2 of them! and i think we are going to add 2 more to have an even 4 and hope we have no males, but we wont know for awhile. Buying a shed is a brilliant idea... and using a caged dog run as my chicken run is also so smart. I have been researching so much i have a feeling im going to turn into a crazy chicken lady!!!! I kind of love them already ;)
Think 3 sided open front, for your climate...

Back
Top Bottom