NEW TO CHICKENS. I NEED HELP.

wtouvell

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
Nekoosa, WI
How do I know how many eggs to save in case my hen goes broody. I have two breeds and I only want to hatch one. So how do I know how many to save to hatch and how many to eat?

See how the white dot is a circle and kind of clear in the middle? Looks fertilized to me.
big_smile.png

Amy's the right person to talk you through an LG hatch.
Here's a few things I've read:
You might fill your water channels with marbles or boiled rocks to act as a heat sink to keep temperature fluctuations down. Jars of water can help, too. Make sure you set it up away from Windows or drafts.

Crossing your fingers can help, too.

A small styrofoam ice chest would be better. You need to maintain the temperature at 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the eggs.

Before you go shopping, search the threads for coolerbator or homemade incubator and get some ideas. If I find a good thread, I'll post the link here.

How do I know how many eggs to save in case my hen goes broody. I have two breeds and I only want to hatch one. So how do I know how many to save to hatch and how many to eat?
How many do you want to hatch out? Though if you don't have a broody, saving eggs is kind of pointless. Eggs viability after 10-14 days decreases significantly and there's no telling when a hen will go broody. I'd wait until she's actually broody and then collect your eggs. If she's a good size broody she should be able to cover a good 8 or more comfortably.

I agree. And depending on what breed she is you could be waiting a long time. Some breeds go broody quite frequently, others not so much. Some of my chickens have never gone broody. My silkies on the other hand I think are broody more than they are not - someone is always sitting on eggs.

I guess the question is do you want to wait til she goes broody because you want the experience of your hen raising babies? Or do you not feel comfortable or do not want to use a bator? Having a broody sit on eggs and then raise the babies is a wonderful experience. If that is what you are wanting to do I completely understand. On the other hand, hatching eggs out yourself is amazing! Especially when they are eggs from your own chickens. I'm not saying that hatching eggs that you get from someone is not fun - it is, but there is something really cool about the ones that come from your own girls!

You can always write the date on them and store them in an egg carton on the counter. Once you have a dozen, start eating the oldest and replacing them with the newest. Then when your hen goes broody (if she does, some never go broody) you will have a dozen eggs available and you can put the freshest underneath her.

How many do you want to hatch out? Though if you don't have a broody, saving eggs is kind of pointless. Eggs viability after 10-14 days decreases significantly and there's no telling when a hen will go broody. I'd wait until she's actually broody and then collect your eggs. If she's a good size broody she should be able to cover a good 8 or more comfortably.

I guess that's what I needed to know. I didn't know how long they stay broody when they do get there. Will they be broody long enough to lay about 8 eggs and stay the whole time needed?

Back
Top Bottom