NEW TO CHICKENS. I NEED HELP.

Eggs that are waiting for incubation should be kept cool, in a carton, fat end up.  You want them to start development all at the same time.

If you are going to buy the cheapest incubator, odds are it will cause heartbreak your first few hatches until you learn how they work.  They are notoriously unreliable, but eventually you can get good hatches out of them if they are monitored closely.

You'd be better off saving for a Hovabator, or even making one yourself out of a cooler. 

Right now I have them in a Aldi box with the heating pad next to a little water. They are laying flat should they be stand up in a carton or something? Sorry I've never done this and wasn't planning on it since we don't have roosters lol !! So because I should save my money should I just buy a temp gauge and wait till day 5 to check if there are any veins?

A small styrofoam ice chest would be better. You need to maintain the temperature at 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the eggs.

Before you go shopping, search the threads for coolerbator or homemade incubator and get some ideas. If I find a good thread, I'll post the link here.

A small styrofoam ice chest would be better.  You need to maintain the temperature at 101.5 degrees measured at the top of the eggs.

Before you go shopping, search the threads for coolerbator or homemade incubator and get some ideas.  If I find a good thread, I'll post the link here.

Thank you for ur help!!
U think the ice chest would be better than a cheap incubator?

No, I think a cheap foam cooler that costs a couple of bucks would be better than a plastic tote.

What you do all depends on how much you are willing to spend and if you think you'll be incubating again.

No, I think a cheap foam cooler that costs a couple of bucks would be better than a plastic tote.

What you do all depends on how much you are willing to spend and if you think you'll be incubating again.

I actually just got a incubator at tractor supply! Always good to have I guess!
So do I just put them in there from the heating pad ? & what day should I check for veins?

Back
Top Bottom