NEW TO CHICKENS. I NEED HELP.

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask :(
I recently bought a hen who was the dominant hen in her flock at her previous home. When I was at her previous Home the rooster did his thang (I think) and after deciding I wanted her we took her home. She hasn't begun laying here yet due to relocation stress I'm sure, but when she DOES lay that first egg is there a possibility it could be fertile due to the mating before we left? Or it doesn't work that way lol sorry for the dumb question

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask
sad.png

I recently bought a hen who was the dominant hen in her flock at her previous home. When I was at her previous Home the rooster did his thang (I think) and after deciding I wanted her we took her home. She hasn't begun laying here yet due to relocation stress I'm sure, but when she DOES lay that first egg is there a possibility it could be fertile due to the mating before we left? Or it doesn't work that way lol sorry for the dumb question
I'm not gonna judge you!
I don't think it works like that, as chickens need to lay an egg within 1-2 days before the eggs aren't fertile anymore.

Hi ! I am a new chicken owner so pleaseee don't judge in the question I'm about to ask :(
Actually, hens can store sperm and have fertile eggs for 3 weeks or longer. Crack a few open and look for the bullseye, then go ahead and incubate if you want!

Back
Top Bottom