New to chickens in the Lowcountry (South Carolina)

bec11mort

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2018
Hello BYC gang. I've read quite a few threads but recently decided to join the forum. My name is Rebecca, 30ish-year-old high school biology teacher with 3 new chickens. My roommate has been wanting to get chickens for over a year now and we finally picked up three rhode island red pullets from TSC last month. I'm amazed by how much personality these little girls have and we're excited for them to be old enough to go outside in their coop.

Outside of my new love for (my) chickens, I'm a biologist and animal lover. I have two dogs (miniature schnauzers who will be tough to get accustomed to having chickens nearby) and I breed three gecko species and also have other reptilians and amphibians.

:welcome
:yesss:We are glad you joined our flock.
Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

:welcome

Rhode Island Reds are a great breed...lots of personality and they'll give you lots of brown eggs! Enjoy!

Schnauzers have a strong prey drive. Chicks will need a Ft.Knox of a brooder . Welcome to Backyard chickens

Oh, they certainly do have a strong prey drive! Luckily one of mine couldn't care less if there's an animal to chase, so I only have my Sebastian to worry about. He's taken quickly to everything I teach him and has just about perfect obedience. I think it's possible. Our brooder is up on a table and it's going to take a lot of work on my part to get him to chill!

Back
Top Bottom