New to Chickens - Need input on our set-up and suggestions

Willie_from_MN

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Hello fellow Flock Tenders!

My Wife and I are 100% new to the wonderful world of Chickens. We are located in town so we have a very small Flock of 4 Chickens. We have 2 Red Star Started Pullets Females and 2 Black Australorp Started Pullets Females which we received at the beginning of July. Just got our first Egg yesterday!!!

We would like feedback on our setup and suggestions on how to make things better. We have the following items for our Gals to live in.

The Pen:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808

The Pen has the Factory optional Roof Cover and Tarps on two sides right now.

The Coop:

https://www.snaplockchickencoops.com/standard-chicken-coop/

This Coop is inside the Pen, centered against one wall and sitting atop of a 4X4 Treated post frame similar to what is shown in some of the photos seen at the link above.

In the Coop we use Pine Shavings that are cleaned out and replace weekly.

The Pen has a dirt Floor with some wood chips from when we had a Birch Tree Stump ground out. To this, a few times this summer, when the grass got thick and lush, we would use the mower and collect some long clippings in the Bag to pour into a corner of the Pen. They love this!

We have a plastic Chicken Feeder hanging under the Coop to protect the food from rain. I put together a 5 gallon with Chicken Nipples and a Gamma Lid for changing/filling. The Bucket hangs off the ground by a chain.

Is anyone working a set-up like ours? If so, how is it working for you? Any suggested changes/upgrades? How do you care for the Pen Floor? What do you put on the Pen Floor?

It’s Fall in Minnesota. What do you suggest we do to keep the Gals warm this Winter?

Thank you for viewing and any input!

Best regards,

Willie

Welcome!
Your coop is a bit small for four, but at least so far it's working out for them. It lacks ventilation except with the door open, so it will be best to arrange your pen with that in mind.
Fixing the pen to be predator proof and protected from rain and snow will make the entire set-up act as a coop, which will work very well all year.
Electricity out there? Having water available all winter means either heated waterers or refilling frozen water dishes three times daily. The black rubber feed dishes work well for that, or run electricity SAFELY to your coop.
Chickens do hate snow, and either you are out there shoveling it out of the pen, or you have a roof overhead for them. Consider snow load on that roof! Something simple like a good tarp, well secured, would do, only if the framing is actually good enough to hold your snow load. Or, you will be out there in blizzards sweeping that roof...
We use two layers of sheet vinyl on the walls of the run, leaving the upper foot or so open for ventilation, as winter shelter, so our run area functions as coop space all winter. Ours is roofed as part of the coop, built to residential framing codes here.
Is your run protected from digging predators? And rats and weasels can easily get through the gaps in that run wire. Hardware cloth, 1/2" openings, are necessary.
Mary

Chickens are adaptable to what's available. So any modification you do would be for your own preference not the chickens.

But what I can see it looks good since you only have 4 hens. Just don't plan on adding anymore cause you would need a larger space.

Chickens molt every year to get there winter feathers. So if you wanted them to stay warmer, some people on the forum have suggested using a heat emitter bulb. In winter you might wanna use a tarp to cover the top of the run and 3 sides to prevent the cold winds from entering the run. Keeps it dryer.

I put sand in the run. There used to be grass but once the hens ate everything I just put a layer of sand in. It's masonry sand which is a bit coarse and the hens love to eat from it, they don't touch the extra grit I give them.

The other benefit is that as long as you have a roof, the sand will stay dry and make a perfect bathing spot. Poop dries up really easily and once a week or so I use a rake to remove remaining solids.

Wood chips, bagged shavings, and some garden waste and grass, all do well in the run. As you've seen, the birds love to dig around in plant materials, and it works well all year. Sand will freeze in winter and not be good, and not give them the activity that deep bedding gives them, turning it into mulch.
Mary

Seeing pics of your actual set up would help.
Think the tarps and frame will hold up to your snow load?
Chickens have down coats to keep them warm.
They need lots of fresh air and liquid water.

Hello fellow Flock Tenders!

My Wife and I are 100% new to the wonderful world of Chickens. We are located in town so we have a very small Flock of 4 Chickens. We have 2 Red Star Started Pullets Females and 2 Black Australorp Started Pullets Females which we received at the beginning of July. Just got our first Egg yesterday!!!

We would like feedback on our setup and suggestions on how to make things better. We have the following items for our Gals to live in.

The Pen:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-universal-poultry-pen-8-ft-x-8-ft-cr0808

The Pen has the Factory optional Roof Cover and Tarps on two sides right now.

The Coop:

https://www.snaplockchickencoops.com/standard-chicken-coop/

This Coop is inside the Pen, centered against one wall and sitting atop of a 4X4 Treated post frame similar to what is shown in some of the photos seen at the link above.

In the Coop we use Pine Shavings that are cleaned out and replace weekly.

The Pen has a dirt Floor with some wood chips from when we had a Birch Tree Stump ground out. To this, a few times this summer, when the grass got thick and lush, we would use the mower and collect some long clippings in the Bag to pour into a corner of the Pen. They love this!

We have a plastic Chicken Feeder hanging under the Coop to protect the food from rain. I put together a 5 gallon with Chicken Nipples and a Gamma Lid for changing/filling. The Bucket hangs off the ground by a chain.

Is anyone working a set-up like ours? If so, how is it working for you? Any suggested changes/upgrades? How do you care for the Pen Floor? What do you put on the Pen Floor?

It’s Fall in Minnesota. What do you suggest we do to keep the Gals warm this Winter?

Thank you for viewing and any input!

Best regards,

Willie
Ventilation is the most important thing to avoid frostbite in the winter. But just in case, keep some Bag Balm handy. You can put that on their combs and wattles before bed to avoid / treat frostbite and it’s a wonderful salve for wounds.

Back
Top Bottom