New to Chickens - Need input on our set-up and suggestions

My overdue photos! Sorry for the delay!

Here is what we've put together so far. We are in town on a small lot. The Pen sits on 4X4 posts. We have wood chips on a dirt for the Pen floor. Every now and then (see in one of the photos) I bag the lushest grass when I mow and put it in the Pen too.

I know 4 is the MAX for this Coop. When I tuck the Gals in for the night, I see all 4 on the Roost and they are only using 1/2 of the Roost length (Chicken Hugs?).

The Coop has Vents (can be opened and closed) on 2 sides in the peak of the roof.

We are going to continue installing the Hardware Cloth soon. Being in town and having a Privacy Fence has keep the pests out (I have seen a Mouse running in one night).

We have Tarps (see photo) on two sides for some shade. It's been SO HOT this summer. We put a Fan in to help cool them when in the Pen.

The Winter Plan (in Minnesota) is to place Tarps (dark side out) on all 4 Pen walls. We really need your input on what else we need to do to ensure the Gals are comfortable this winter. We had thought of getting some foam insulation (4' X 8' sheets 1 to 2" thick) and lining the inside of the Pen walls and roof. Then thought we would add a heat source like a Heat Lamp. What do you think? Needed? Not needed? Good idea but wrong material? Other idea's?

Thank you to all for viewing and your replies!

Willie
20200916_112318.jpg
20200916_112400.jpg
20200916_112416.jpg

Your chickens will eat any insulation not covered in plywood, so leave that out for now.
Here we use rolled sheet vinyl, doubled, on the run walls, leaving the upper foot or so open for ventilation. All tarps will be very dark in there, not good.
Snow load!!! Chickens hate walking in snow, and a tarped flat roof will collapse unless you are out there shoveling in blizzards, maybe at 2am. You will want them in the run, preferably all the time, so predator proof and roofed will matter a lot.
You will want a heated waterer, or plan on taking fresh water to them three times every day. They shouldn't actually need a heat lamp for them out there. Having the dark side/ foil sided tarps are nice for the roof, if it's possible to use tarps on that roof, and maybe the north and west sides, but then clear on the east and south sides, with those gaps at the top.
my biggest concern is that snow load issue...
Mary

Your chickens will eat any insulation not covered in plywood, so leave that out for now.
Here we use rolled sheet vinyl, doubled, on the run walls, leaving the upper foot or so open for ventilation. All tarps will be very dark in there, not good.
Snow load!!! Chickens hate walking in snow, and a tarped flat roof will collapse unless you are out there shoveling in blizzards, maybe at 2am. You will want them in the run, preferably all the time, so predator proof and roofed will matter a lot.
You will want a heated waterer, or plan on taking fresh water to them three times every day. They shouldn't actually need a heat lamp for them out there. Having the dark side/ foil sided tarps are nice for the roof, if it's possible to use tarps on that roof, and maybe the north and west sides, but then clear on the east and south sides, with those gaps at the top.
my biggest concern is that snow load issue...
Mary
HI Mary!

THANK YOU for your reply!

The Roof of the Pen has a peak (similar to the wall tubing ) and is covered by a Pen Mfg. heavy tarp/canvas type of "Roof" cover While not a very steep pitch, it should work. I'll keep snow from building up as it passes.

I have a Bird Bath type heater I'm going to install in the Water Pail. It is thermostatically controlled and should be able to keep the water from freezing.

You mention Rolled Sheet Vinyl for the wall covering. Can you give more info? Brand? Purchased from? How could I find some?

Thank you once again for your time and input!

Have a GREAT evening!

Willie

I don't remember where we bought the stuff; plastic sheeting from a big box store probably. the nearly clear stuff, thick enough to staple and then attach with wood strips, screwed into the framing.
Not beautiful, but it works well.
IMG_1383.JPG
IMG_1384.JPG

I don't remember where we bought the stuff; plastic sheeting from a big box store probably. the nearly clear stuff, thick enough to staple and then attach with wood strips, screwed into the framing.
Not beautiful, but it works well.
View attachment 2347209View attachment 2347211
HI Mary!

OK... I see now, roll sheet plastic. For some odd reason I was thinking like a clear carpet runner type of stuff.

THANK YOU once again for your time and input!

Willie

Ventilation is the most important thing to avoid frostbite in the winter. But just in case, keep some Bag Balm handy. You can put that on their combs and wattles before bed to avoid / treat frostbite and it’s a wonderful salve for wounds.

Following thread - can you provide or point me to a thread on ventilation? I don't have chicks yet. I thought it best to learn as much as I could and build my own coop before getting them. Thanks

Following thread - can you provide or point me to a thread on ventilation? I don't have chicks yet. I thought it best to learn as much as I could and build my own coop before getting them. Thanks
Huge Kudos for getting the coop built right before getting birds!
Great discussion on VENTILATION

Back
Top Bottom