New to chickens on Long Island

Welcome. I am located in the East End (Hamptons). I did purchase my coop from Green Chicken Coop because after extensive research, I found them to match my needs for both the run and the coop. You can also look at Sheds Unlimited, Horizon Products, My Pet Chicken, EZ Clean Coops, and your local Agway dealer. There are many on line distributor like Strombergs, My Pet Chicken, Meyer Hatchery,Murray McMurray, Chickens For Backyard, Randall-Burkey, to name a few. The prices vary and some are free shipping and some have specials.

In terms of the chicks, I ordered from the Talmadge Farms Agway in Riverhead because they have chicks available now at this early time of the year. They also have a great selection of coops, but the prices are high so you need to do your homework.

In terms of corn-free and soy-free feed, be careful. You may want to contact Nutreena, Purina, and other feed manufacturers to ensure you are not compromising you child's health. There are a lot of organic feed suppliers out their, but the shipping cost is high. Contact Talmadge Farms as their staff is incredibly knowledgeable. Also, google soy-free and corn-free chicken feed and see what comes up.

Good luck. If you need more help, just ask.

Hi, I am from melville Long Island and am considering purchasing a Green coop also. Are you happy? Have you found where we can buy supplies and chickens locally? I am brand new and excited. Huntington can allow us backyard coops a maximum of 6 chickens but no Rosters.

Hi!
As I previously posted, my chicks were obtained at Agway in Riverhead. However, now at this time of the year, you can order from any hatchery if you wish. Agway has, on their website, an order form for chicks that you may find helpful.

In terms of equipment and supplies, I chose to order on line as I watched sales all winter long and saved a lot. Randall Burkey and Murray Mc Murray seem to have the best deals and the shipping is reasonable (Value shipping) You may choose to go this route or go and look equipment (waterers, feeders, etc.) at Agway if you purchase chicks from them.

If you have any more questions. feel free to write on the forum and I will certainly assist you in any way I can.

-Joseph-

Hello,
In terms of Green Chicken Coops, to date, I am very happy with them. I ordered the Extended Alexandria Coop and 9' run. Also, I ordered many options for each.The coop and run will arrive 3-28-13 so, at that time, I will give you a better evaluation.

If for some reason I do not (excitement, preoccupation with the set up, playing with the chicks, etc.) please remind me via the forum and this thread.

welcome-byc.gif

Hi, I am from melville Long Island and am considering purchasing a Green coop also. Are you happy? Have you found where we can buy supplies and chickens locally? I am brand new and excited. Huntington can allow us backyard coops a maximum of 6 chickens but no Rosters.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! I live in Laurel Hollow and get my feed, straw etc from Chestnut Vale on Duffy Road in Hicksville. Other supplies can be ordered from catalogs such as Randall Burkey, Mc Murray's and Stromberg's. I have a Green coop from www.greenchickencoop.com. I have the extended Alexandria with wheels ( to get it where I need it) I built a run around it and it has worked very well. I attached the Pullet-shut door because I had the electrical package added to it. It houses my 5 pullets. If you need more info message me. I am new to chickens but would love to help you out with any information that. Also go to the Thread for Southern NY, Dutchess County and Below. It has a lot of Long Islanders. I bought my chickens from a place in CT called Clark farm. They were pullets. Good luck with your new adventure into chickens! Irene

Back
Top Bottom