New to chickens on Long Island

Thank you Lalany!
A phone number would be appreciated. My chicks are three weeks old and getting larger, healthier, messy and verry active. What are your thoughts about putting them out at 4 weeks old here in Long Island with the current early morning temperature of 40 degrees and a day time of 50 degrees ( any other forum members please respond also with your opinions).

Thanks to all!

I was told to keep the hens inside for about 2 more weeks unless you have a heat source. Mine are about 4 wks now. If they get a cold at this age it could be fatal. Mine are making a huge mess too.

Hello everyone from Long Island, NY,
I am new to BAckyardChicken and i am in Port Jefferson. I was wondering if anyone is open to allowing me to take a peek at your setup. My husband is designing and getting ready to build a coop in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info on the Long Island Poultry. They are getting over 200 laying hens in tomorrow. Chicks at Agway in Port Jeff Station is all sold out.

Thanks,
Jennifer

welcome-byc.gif

I am in Melville, but not getting my coop until the first week in May and my 6 chicks are due mid-June. You are welcome to check it out in the summer. Welcome.

Hi Jennifer,

If you plan to be in the Sag Harbor area, by all means, please stop by and look at my coop and run and peeps! I will have the six week old chicks in the coop and run (hopefully) by 4-26-13. Currently, the chicks are creating, dust, anarchy, and a mess in the brooder.As soon as the coop manufacturer sends the last part that I need, the chicks will go to their new "mansion".
You can contact me by private message, although I am not even sure how that works.
Looking forward to sharing my experiences and knowledge with you!
JosephC

Good afternoon IRISCHICK,
I really like that photo. If I can offer any advise let me know. I am new to this, but have done extensive research, received my coop last week and ready to put the chicks out in a week or two.
Take care.
Thanks Joseph C, will do. The building of the coop is a slow one but progressing. We just finished the base and putting the flooring down. The "work" think gets in the way. LOL.

Take care, Karen

Hello everyone from Long Island, NY,
I am new to BAckyardChicken and i am in Port Jefferson. I was wondering if anyone is open to allowing me to take a peek at your setup. My husband is designing and getting ready to build a coop in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the info on the Long Island Poultry. They are getting over 200 laying hens in tomorrow. Chicks at Agway in Port Jeff Station is all sold out.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer and welcome! As soon as mine is complete, I will let you know! Karen

Back
Top Bottom