New to ducks, good with chickens

hennible

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Central British Columbia
Always read on this forum so when one of the new ducks appeared ill I thought I'd join.
I'm going to guess coccidiosis ( if she were a chicken). But as I'm new to ducks I thought I'd ask for input. Here are the symptoms: tired, anti-social, runny green poops and a glassy look to her eyes... Also it is very hot here 30+ Celsius... Not sure if temp is a factor the other 5 seem fine. Not sure on age almost totally feathered out flight feathers not totally in yet. Thank for any info, very glade to join BYC.

Welcome to BYC! I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (even though I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. Concerning your ill duck, you might want to either check out the Duck Illness threads at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=duck+illnesses+thread or the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section of the forum at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures I hope your duck gets well.

It could be a deficiency which is easy enough to fix, but it could also be an infection, which isn't so easy. :/ What do you feed them? Chicken or duck feed?

Chick starter, switching to grower right now. Just realizing they should have already been on grower for a while now.( duh )
My feed store doesn't carry duck specific feed for babies or fledglings, just adult feed...
I thought the basic recipe was the same as long as there were no antibiotics in the starter? Any way thank you for the lead. I will keep you posted on her health and any leads I get from my vets.

Chick starter, switching to grower right now. Just realizing they should have already been on grower for a while now.( duh )
My feed store doesn't carry duck specific feed for babies or fledglings, just adult feed...
I thought the basic recipe was the same as long as there were no antibiotics in the starter? Any way thank you for the lead. I will keep you posted on her health and any leads I get from my vets.
Nope, you need niacin, chick starter doesn't have enough niacin! Add some brewer's yeast or crushed niacin supplement pills in the feed. I hope the lil' guy pulls through ._.

Brewers yeast?! Thank you. Any ideas how much for 6 young ducks?
Also the sick one must have an infection, going down hill fast. Moved her inside, gave fluids, can't tempt her to eat.... White pasty excretion on vent...
Also any advice on getting her bill open not nearly as easy as working with ill chickens.
Thank you

Oh no, I'm so, so sorry, Hen...at least it died warm and safe. :/ I hope your other babies are nice and strong.

Back
Top Bottom