New to Ducks

Quote: I've been told they can successfully live together, but my anxiety/panic disorder plays tricks on me so I just decided to keep them separate. They'll be right next to each other, but there will be chicken wire between the chickens and ducks. Last night, between cleaning the duckling brooder and giving them a swim Pekin ripped his toe nail and I "freaked" over it (internally though since I couldn't freak him out).
barnie.gif

I've been told they can successfully live together, but my anxiety/panic disorder plays tricks on me so I just decided to keep them separate. They'll be right next to each other, but there will be chicken wire between the chickens and ducks. Last night, between cleaning the duckling brooder and giving them a swim Pekin ripped his toe nail and I "freaked" over it (internally though since I couldn't freak him out). :barnie

Ah. I'm sorry to hear that. Today seems to be better for them. They all stay in their own little groups.

My 4 little chicks. Im pretty sure the white one is a rooster and im not sure about the 3 black and white ones.

No idea about the white one, but the barred rocks... the one in the front with his head pointing to the left... he's a rooster. Based on coloring, the other 2 are likely hens, but if you can post shots of their comb growth, that would help. But the front one is much lighter and has a largish red comb which typically means you have a little roo on your hands.

Ducklings...
the 2 you got at TSC - the all brown one is likely a khaki campbell and the black with yellow chest sounds like a black sweedish.
The other 3 - one sort of looks like a blue swedish, but if somebody with a mixed flock gave them to you, they are likely mixed ducks.

Since you have differences in age/size, you can try to keep them all together, but have plans if you need to separate them for a bit. A mixed flock can normally exist peacefully, but sometimes there can be issues - same with brooding mixed sizes/flock - can work well or it might not.

No idea about the white one, but the barred rocks... the one in the front with his head pointing to the left... he's a rooster. Based on coloring, the other 2 are likely hens, but if you can post shots of their comb growth, that would help. But the front one is much lighter and has a largish red comb which typically means you have a little roo on your hands.

Ducklings... 
the 2 you got at TSC - the all brown one is likely a khaki campbell and the black with yellow chest sounds like a black sweedish.
The other 3 - one sort of looks like a blue swedish, but if somebody with a mixed flock gave them to you, they are likely mixed ducks.

Since you have differences in age/size, you can try to keep them all together, but have plans if you need to separate them for a bit. A mixed flock can normally exist peacefully, but sometimes there can be issues - same with brooding mixed sizes/flock - can work well or it might not.

Thank you. I have posted better pics of all little chicks in the chicken forums. Was told i may have either 2 hens and 2 roos or 1 hen and 3 roos.

Here are the chicks up close.

Oh, those aren't barred rocks from the front LOL The roo is, but the girls look to be either mixed or something else.
They look to be around 5 weeks or so in the pics and if they are getting honking red combs at this point, they are very likely roos. If their combs are still small and light pink or peachy/yellow, they are likely pullets.

1 - pullet
2 - roo
3 - pullet - is that an easter egger or araucana (am I seeing ear feathers of just baby fluff still)? If so, I think they have smaller combs anyway, so not sure, that little comb looks rather red, but not large, so could still be a roo maybe.
4 - roo

Oh, those aren't barred rocks from the front  LOL The roo is, but the girls look to be either mixed or something else.
They look to be around 5 weeks or so in the pics and if they are getting honking red combs at this point, they are very likely roos. If their combs are still small and light pink or peachy/yellow, they are likely pullets.

1 - pullet
2 - roo
3 - pullet - is that an easter egger or araucana (am I seeing ear feathers of just baby fluff still)? If so, I think they have smaller combs anyway, so not sure, that little comb looks rather red, but not large, so could still be a roo maybe.
4 - roo

I believe they are a mix between barred rock's and some kind of red. And I think the 3rd chick is still fluff. I'm thinking 2 and 2.

MamaDucken, your little gray duckies in your first pics look very much like the Blue Swedish that my local feed store sells.

Back
Top Bottom