New To Everything About Chickens

Booswalia

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Prince Edward Island, CAN
Hi, just want to introduce myself and say that I'm "interested" in starting to raise chickens. I have NO experience. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a live chicken up close before.

So why would I want to raise chickens you ask? I love fresh eggs and I have the perfect yard for it.

I built a fenced in yard for my dog when I had my first dog experience and I thought he might be a digger so I dug an 8 inch trench around the yard and filled it with cement. The yard is about 10 feet by 20 feet and it would be very easy to chicken wire it in and even over the top since I never did cut of the 8 foot posts. I suppose I should mention that the dog does not use the yard. He doesn't stray off the property so he has privileges now. He mostly stay inside anyway.

So I have a great yard for chickens but I will need a coop. That's what I'm working on now... finding or creating a plan for one. Then, I suppose I will need some chickens.

Go to your local library and check out Stories Guide to Raising Chickens! This will be your chicken bible! It helps with all kinds of Questions! BYC is a great place to get info! Lots of nice people in here! First decide How many chickens you will have ,then you will know how big of a coop you will need! There are lots of things to consider when raising chickens. Like how many nesting boxes you will need per chickens, how much roosting space ,feeder space etc...This book will help! Good luck and Welcome to BYC!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington

You came to the right place

Imp

Welcome! This is a great place for learning all about chickens. I'm a Rookie to raising chickens as well.....they are really interesting critters.

welcome-byc.gif
You've come to the right place. I'm still a beginner, but it's amazing the amount of knowledge people on BYC have regarding chickens!

Last edited:
I'm a newbie too! I'm in your boat (or yacht
smile.png
) and just want to wish you all the luck in your endeavor--I think we're going to need it! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom