New to form Florda Cracker here.

Hello Terrible Ted the FL Cracker and Welcome to BYC. It's good to have you in this poultry loving community. I too am a FL Cracker by birth. My ancestors all migrated down to FL out of GA and AL. Now I'm surround by ancestor graves of those I never got to know. Chickens were a way of life for both sides of my families.

8th+ generation Cracker here. Most of my people come out of Gulf Hammock. A few were out of south Georgia and far north Florida near the border. No northern ancestors or anyone out of Florida or South Georgia at any time that I know of since the early 1800s, even then those ancestors outside of Florida/Georgia were out of the Carolinas.

Hola! Not a native Floridian, but I'm a transplant and I married a Cubano. Your name reminds me of a little place near Jacksonville called Chowder Ted's - really great food if you're ever in that area.
One of the most fascinating things (to me anyhow) about discussing who exactly is a native to Florida is the fact that Cubans are the oldest group represented in Florida, where Cubans were one and the same as the old Spanish imperials. The original Native Americans in Florida were wiped out by disease. The Spanish settled some coastal inlets that became ports. Later, Native Americans from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama filtered into the interior and became the Seminole, then the Crackers came in the 1800s.

I think there is a tendency to think of Cubans as new arrivals, when in reality they are not.

One of the most fascinating things (to me anyhow) about discussing who exactly is a native to Florida is the fact that Cubans are the oldest group represented in Florida, where Cubans were one and the same as the old Spanish imperials. The original Native Americans in Florida were wiped out by disease. The Spanish settled some coastal inlets that became ports. Later, Native Americans from the Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama filtered into the interior and became the Seminole, then the Crackers came in the 1800s.

I think there is a tendency to think of Cubans as new arrivals, when in reality they are not.
Just imagine the one that homesteaded here. My family moved here in the late 40s, Not many here that were born here. Cubans are still coming. If ac was never invented, I would still be living in the country.

Back
Top Bottom