New to Goats

@Duckfarmer1 @Rachel Taylor

We may be looking to move soon to a small town where we can keep goats in our yard (plenty of space for them, also has a concrete stall + attached chicken/duck coop already).

It has solid welded fences around all 4 sides, but they are only 4ft so we'd have to do the top as Chicken Wire (Adding an extra 3-4ft to prevent escape of chooks, ducks, and goats and to keep neighbors dogs out.).

Would that work? As if they try to climb the reachable fence is dog proof and solid so they can step and lean all they want.

We arent worried about horns getting stuck in this type of fencing as the holes are too small, I couldn't put my hand through as an idea. And we'd supplement plenty of hay, occasional grain and alfalfa pellets, free for all minerals etc so they never lack.

Thank you for all the replies, I'm looking into purchasing the minerals asap, and will just habe to wait on postage as not sold near me.

Goat products are a mission in Australia near me apparently.

Yes, I think the chicken wire on the top of the fence would be fine, since it’s not your only barrier from predators. My fence is only 4’, cattle Panels, I’ve never had a goat jump it. Honestly, if the goats are happy and healthy they don’t usually want to flee each other. Hays needs to be 24/7 too. I also put out baking soda when the grass is new. They tend to overeat..and the baking soda helps cut down on bloat. When buying the minerals, you could you in your area for the elements in your soil. Over here, I put in my county and state..elements in soil. It tells me what I lack, so I can know if they need a pnother mineral boos5 from time to time. Lack of minerals cause rough coats, no shine. Can also cause a ‘fishtail’ which would mean they need a copper bolus. But 5hat is typically done before kidding, so, they should be fine. Just giving you some hints to look for.❤️😀👍🐐

@Duckfarmer1

The property even has a concrete / cinderblock stall which, if we get the place, we intend to tidy up for the girls.

20200415_132156.jpg

It has a door we'd only use to lock them both in at night, and also seclude Daphne in for a few days if she does kid in 4-5 months, Staples can sleep in the enclosed pen around it. We would also open up the windows and mesh off to allow light and breeze etc.

Would this suit those particular time periods?

Definitely you need to have it ventilated, windows would be great. The moisture from the wet hay, etc is not good for them to breathe. How big is it inside? Room enough for a kidding stall and then for another goat? My kidding stalks are 4’x8’..many others are 5’x7’. But you definitely need about that much room. Try it out with cardboard cutouts on the floor and map it out...see how much room is left, how you’ll open the door, etc. that always helps when you have tight spaces to work within!😀❤️👍🐐

Back
Top Bottom