New to Guineas.

Mother Hen to 6

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Kentucky
I have owned chickens ducks turkeys geese and parrots but never any guineas. I was told they will protect my flock and also keep ticks down. How true is this? They are crazy little birds thats forsure lol. They are still in the brooder but super funny to watch Any advice on these 3 little guys/ girls

I have no idea why anyone would think that they would help to protect a flock. Unless maybe the noise they make is supposed to scare off predators?

I think geese are pretty good at flock protection.

They are loud, a good warning system, and they wander further when free ranging. But they are bigger chickens in some cases then my hens.

Ooh and they are dumb, and loud, and annoying, and can be bullies...

Yes they eat bugs just like chickens do... they are not nervous about unfamiliar areas and will travel further to find bugs. They do seem to prefer to find bugs rather then eat grass so they are rarely in my yard where the hens spend most of thier time, in my yard as in my main yard the guineas like to go out to the feild. They do dust bathe but i don't often see them digging as much as chickens, I think becuase they would rather have the bug then the grass.

I swear I fell like they do half my roosters job right nownn especially when the hawks and vultures fly over. But i don't know how they react to an attack.

Of and did I mention they are loud and can be mean... mine about about to find a chop block becuase they are harrassing my hens and i can't setup another coop right now...

I have owned chickens ducks turkeys geese and parrots but never any guineas. I was told they will protect my flock and also keep ticks down. How true is this? They are crazy little birds that's for sure lol. They are still in the brooder but super funny to watch Any advice on these 3 little guys/ girls
Guineas have a hard time protecting themselves let alone protecting anything else. They will not have any interest in protecting your flock.

Guineas are a flock bird and do best when kept in large numbers. I never recommend having a flock of fewer than 10 guineas. Those case that you read about guineas driving off a predator are normally a large flock of guineas. In reality, guineas are far more likely to be taken one at a time by predators until there are none left. There is always a good market for guineas because of the need to replace predator losses.

Guineas are highly sought after for tick control but again don't expect 3 guineas to make much of a dent in your tick population.

Last edited:
I never expected 3 of them to do much. I was thinking of adding more. I read at least 10 was the go to number. However free range isn’t an option for us as we have 4 Great Danes 1 of which has killed chickens in the past. So they would have to be kept in the coop so maybe they just aren’t for us.

I never expected 3 of them to do much. I was thinking of adding more. I read at least 10 was the go to number. However free range isn’t an option for us as we have 4 Great Danes 1 of which has killed chickens in the past. So they would have to be kept in the coop so maybe they just aren’t for us.
If you can't free range them at all, they will not do anything for tick removal.

I'm very interested in this also. I've read things that made me say no to guineas and then read things that made me change my mind, and then back again! So confusing.
This article really got me thinking again... https://homesteading.com/raising-guineas/
So, if I were to be accepting of the fact that I will lose my Guinea flock to predators it may be something worth considering.
Yes, that sounds horrifying, but let me give my situation. I live on an acre+ surrounded by woods. Ticks are a given. Ticks are dangerous. My 47 year old daughter who lives with me is permently disabled from tick borne diseases. She has neurological damage and is unable to do many daily things including driving. I have my chickens but can't free range them due to hawks, owls, etc so they are getting a 10x30 ft run.
I do have a lot of questions. If my dogs are outside on their chain runs will guineas attack them or keep their distance? I'm in NJ with cold snowy winters with the occasional obligatory ice storm. If I had 10 guineas what kind and how big of a coop would I need? If I can't raise them through the temperature changes that keets need will it be ok to purchase young ones at the point where they can be outdoors?
I'm positive I'll have other questions. Maybe my post here will help OP in some way. We both seem to be on the same "first page".

I'm very interested in this also. I've read things that made me say no to guineas and then read things that made me change my mind, and then back again! So confusing.
This article really got me thinking again... https://homesteading.com/raising-guineas/
So, if I were to be accepting of the fact that I will lose my Guinea flock to predators it may be something worth considering.
Yes, that sounds horrifying, but let me give my situation. I live on an acre+ surrounded by woods. Ticks are a given. Ticks are dangerous. My 47 year old daughter who lives with me is permently disabled from tick borne diseases. She has neurological damage and is unable to do many daily things including driving. I have my chickens but can't free range them due to hawks, owls, etc so they are getting a 10x30 ft run.
I do have a lot of questions. If my dogs are outside on their chain runs will guineas attack them or keep their distance? I'm in NJ with cold snowy winters with the occasional obligatory ice storm. If I had 10 guineas what kind and how big of a coop would I need? If I can't raise them through the temperature changes that keets need will it be ok to purchase young ones at the point where they can be outdoors?
I'm positive I'll have other questions. Maybe my post here will help OP in some way. We both seem to be on the same "first page".

No the guinea won't attack your dogs. In fact they would probably prefer to take the long way around to avoid the dog at all cost... my chickens drink from my dogs water bowl the guinea do not by thier own choice

Back
Top Bottom