New to Guineas

Also guys what should I feed them when they are keets? I planned on feeding them game bird feed when they have grown but im not sure what to feed them when they first come.

It is more critical to their proper development to use a good quality turkey or game bird starter that is 28% to 30% protein while they are keets than what you feed them as adults. It can be helpful to add vitamins and/or electrolytes to their drinking water. Newly hatched keets should not be given cold water. It can also be helpful to provide the keets with fine grit. Do not use wood chips for their bedding for at least the first couple of weeks as they can and do eat the chips and most likely will have their digestive tracts become impacted.

Especially if the adults free range you can get by feeding the adults almost any good quality feed that has 16% protein.

I feed my babies turkey starter crumble for the high protein. They have always loved it and done well. Supplement with greens and fruits for them to experiment and develop their "taste buds"! Remember to put in some chick grit too!

Good advice except that you should never feed them something that you don't want them helping themselves to when they are adults. Guineas can become very finicky eaters and their taste buds need to be developed as keets but if you don't want the adults to help themselves to your favorite garden goodies, don't feed those goodies to them as keets.

Either game bird starter of turkey starter will work fine. Some of it may need to be ground a little finer for the newborn keets. I use my coffee grinder for small batches.
wink.png

Thanks guys and yes I have yet another question I feel like im being a pest with my questions. :) I Have read that you should feed your guineas at the same time every night to train them to come back their coop at the same time so I wont have to chase them in but I am confused because I also thought I was supposed to keep their food filled all day long what is the right thing to do? (Sorry for all of the questions I don't want to seem like a bother)
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom