New to Hatching - and chickens

Jessimash

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
My husband and I decided to take on chickens this year. We are working on our own self-sustaining farm. I've had a garden and horses for about 3 years, and we decided chickens were the next step.

I have 5 viable eggs in the incubator, and today is day 21. I am super excited but very nervous. I have been all over the internet and these forums collecting information as I go. I didn't realize there was so much potential for death during the hatching process. I have my Little Giant still-air incubator at 101.5 degrees with both air holes open. The humidity is staying a constant 60%. My eggs are in an egg carton with the bottom cut out.

I have sworn to myself that I will not be opening the incubator until day 23 - unless all of the eggs hatch successfully before then. I wish I could candle without having to open the incubator to see if the pipping has begun. It's going to be a long day...

I hear so many times about people against helping chicks because of causing them to die and bleed out ect, and the reason they loose those chicks (in my opinion, for the majority of them) is because at that point they shouldn't be helping anyway because they are obviously not ready if the veins are still prevelant in the membrane. They probably would have hatched out normally had they been left alone, or assisted in the proper way.
There is no doubt that this happens a lot. I did it my first time. It's so hard watching that first hatch, because everything looks like it is taking so much longer than you think it should, and when they stop moving you think they need help. It just takes a long time, and chances are that chick that you thought wasn't going to make it would be just fine if you left it alone. If your humidity is right, and they are pipping, then everything is going like it should. Some just take longer than others. I am at the end of my current hatch right now. I locked down on Friday. I had my first pip yesterday morning around 6:00AM. I had 8 chicks by 10:00PM, but more than half of the eggs had not pipped yet. This morning, most of them had hatched, but I still had 4 or 5 eggs in there. 2 or 3 of those were pipped, and the others either hadn't pipped yet, or aren't going to. It's day 22, and I haven't opened the incubator once since Friday.
It would be nice if they all pipped, zipped, and hatched at the same time, but that's not how it happens, and after you see it a few times you get more relaxed. For now, just keep your fingers crossed and enjoy the show
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Chick #2 still had the egg attached to the umbilical when I got up this morning. I went ahead and cut it off. Now it seems like it can't get up on its legs correctly. When it tries to get around, its legs and feet are way out to the side. Do I need to do anything to help him fix this or will it correct itself?
What you are describing is "spraddle leg" and can be corrected. This has good instructions on how to do that: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

I understand. That's why I refuse to open the incubator until tomorrow. The little chick that has pipped at the bottom of the egg has his beak sticking out a little. I'm hoping he'll make it out without help. I'm honestly very nervous about the possibility of having to help hatch. It has been quiet in the incubator since around 10 a.m. Something must be going on in there now that I'm not aware of, because my dog keeps looking at the incubator with interest.

It was difficult for me to put my question into words. I understand that they won't zip immediately. Is it possible that they will only do only an inner pip - break the membrane to get into the air pocket - before they begin to zip? I hope that makes more sense. :)
No. No matter how you look at it a chick has to externally pip. The definition itself is the initial break through of the chick through the shell. You can not physically zip w/out pipping. How long it takes to go from pip to zip differs, and you may not notice a pip before it stars to zip, but trust me, it had most likely been pipped a while before the zip. A pip can go unnoticed because it doesn't tecnically have to put a hole in the shell but can be a "bump" or a crack.

It should detach on its own in a short while, when the chick starts moving around. If it doesn't, and is just a gray and white string with no pink, red or yellow, you can snip it about 1/2" from the navel. But I prefer to let the chick do it in its own time if it's not a tripping hazard for others.

I'll wait then. I had to remove the first chick because he was picking at the umbilical and at the newly hatched chick too. I hope when I introduce the others to the brooder, he doesn't pick on them...
It's typical for them to peck at each other. (Especially newer chicks.) As long as they are all strong and able to move, you just keep an eye on them and let them establish their places. If one is getting overly pecked/picked on or pecked by many then you do need to intervene.

First, I have learned to let the cord dry and fall off on its own. I made a chick bleed out one time because I cut the cord too soon. Your other problem sounds like spraddle leg. Do a search for that, and there are good threads with pictures of how to treat it. It is correctable
When cutting the cord, it really should be "tied off" first with either floss or thread. That should aid in prreventing any possible (extra) blood loss. I have only had one that had the cord still attatched and that was from my first delayed hatcher and I did just let that dry and when it was shrivelled I just trimmed it closer to the belly. But he was an only so I didn't need to worry about others pecking at it.

Which leads me to say that if and when you can integrate him with the others, keep on eye on them if there is any of the cord still visible as they may take to pecking at it and causing problems.

Last edited:
I have a second batch in the incubator now, starting with 12 eggs. I learned a lot with the first batch, so I'm hoping this one will have a higher hatch rate. I will not be putting them in the carton at all, and I think I will put a towel in the bottom of the incubator on day 18 so that there is not a lot of sliding around when they get to wallking. Also, I will be candling a lot less. (I probably won't have the time to candle so much this time anyway.)
I use the rubber shelf/drawer liner that you find in the dollar store. I don't like seeing eggs laying on that metal screen or the thought of chicks walking on it. Plus it's easier clean up. After hatch pull it out and throw it away.

I can fully sympathize! I had to build a bigger incubator so I could put MORE eggs in so I wouldn't stress out over trying to hatch more than one when setting a few. The last few days are the hardest part!

Don't worry about the internal pipping, you will hear cheeping. And you will see the external pips.

Last edited:
Good luck! I'm new to chicken too. My incubator is set up and I'm waiting for eggs to arrive. I know I will be a nervous wreck on day 21!! I hope all goes well! So exciting!

Back
Top Bottom