New to Hatching - and chickens

Jessimash

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2015
My husband and I decided to take on chickens this year. We are working on our own self-sustaining farm. I've had a garden and horses for about 3 years, and we decided chickens were the next step.

I have 5 viable eggs in the incubator, and today is day 21. I am super excited but very nervous. I have been all over the internet and these forums collecting information as I go. I didn't realize there was so much potential for death during the hatching process. I have my Little Giant still-air incubator at 101.5 degrees with both air holes open. The humidity is staying a constant 60%. My eggs are in an egg carton with the bottom cut out.

I have sworn to myself that I will not be opening the incubator until day 23 - unless all of the eggs hatch successfully before then. I wish I could candle without having to open the incubator to see if the pipping has begun. It's going to be a long day...

I can fully sympathize! I had to build a bigger incubator so I could put MORE eggs in so I wouldn't stress out over trying to hatch more than one when setting a few. The last few days are the hardest part!

Don't worry about the internal pipping, you will hear cheeping. And you will see the external pips.

Last edited:
Good luck! I'm new to chicken too. My incubator is set up and I'm waiting for eggs to arrive. I know I will be a nervous wreck on day 21!! I hope all goes well! So exciting!

My husband and I decided to take on chickens this year. We are working on our own self-sustaining farm. I've had a garden and horses for about 3 years, and we decided chickens were the next step.

I have 5 viable eggs in the incubator, and today is day 21. I am super excited but very nervous. I have been all over the internet and these forums collecting information as I go. I didn't realize there was so much potential for death during the hatching process. I have my Little Giant still-air incubator at 101.5 degrees with both air holes open. The humidity is staying a constant 60%. My eggs are in an egg carton with the bottom cut out.

I have sworn to myself that I will not be opening the incubator until day 23 - unless all of the eggs hatch successfully before then. I wish I could candle without having to open the incubator to see if the pipping has begun. It's going to be a long day...
Welcome to the chicken world-boy are you in for a fun and addicting ride. lol I wish you good luck and look foreward to seeing how it goes for you.

Welcome to the chicken world-boy are you in for a fun and addicting ride. lol I wish you good luck and look foreward to seeing how it goes for you.
I am amazed at how obsessed I am already. The other day, I opened my mouth to say something to my husband, but decided to just shut my mouth again. He asked, "You were going to say something about chickens, weren't you?" Yup. :)

There is pipping in the bottom of one of the eggs, with a little bit of blood. Do I wait patiently for this one and hope it figures it out?

I am amazed at how obsessed I am already. The other day, I opened my mouth to say something to my husband, but decided to just shut my mouth again. He asked, "You were going to say something about chickens, weren't you?" Yup. :)
LOL. I know what you mean. I'm surprised I have any friends left...

I hear chirping!!!!
Yay!

There is pipping in the bottom of one of the eggs, with a little bit of blood. Do I wait patiently for this one and hope it figures it out?
Oh, you're first pip and it's malepositioned. Keep an eye on the blood. He pipped straight through and not into the air cell, and apparently he hit a vein. As long as it's a little, hopefully he will be ok. If you see a lot then unfortunately you may need intervene. Have you read the assisted hatching thread? If not, now would be a good time:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Many malepositioned pippers make it out on their own. Pipping into the bottom is the worst though because of all the veining. Usually that area, (in my experience) is the last to absorb the veins so if it takes him an extra long time, (a normal pip to zip time can be 24 hours) don't be too alarmed. As long as he is still active and the membrane doesn't look like it is drying out (yellowish brown) try to give him the time. If you think he's weakening and in danger, then you need to make that decision to help or not and follow the assisted hatching guide. Best resource for that sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom