New to Hatching - and chickens

Chick #2 still had the egg attached to the umbilical when I got up this morning. I went ahead and cut it off. Now it seems like it can't get up on its legs correctly. When it tries to get around, its legs and feet are way out to the side. Do I need to do anything to help him fix this or will it correct itself?
First, I have learned to let the cord dry and fall off on its own. I made a chick bleed out one time because I cut the cord too soon. Your other problem sounds like spraddle leg. Do a search for that, and there are good threads with pictures of how to treat it. It is correctable

First, I have learned to let the cord dry and fall off on its own. I made a chick bleed out one time because I cut the cord too soon. Your other problem sounds like spraddle leg. Do a search for that, and there are good threads with pictures of how to treat it. It is correctable
When cutting the cord, it really should be "tied off" first with either floss or thread. That should aid in prreventing any possible (extra) blood loss. I have only had one that had the cord still attatched and that was from my first delayed hatcher and I did just let that dry and when it was shrivelled I just trimmed it closer to the belly. But he was an only so I didn't need to worry about others pecking at it.

Which leads me to say that if and when you can integrate him with the others, keep on eye on them if there is any of the cord still visible as they may take to pecking at it and causing problems.

Last edited:
I waited well over 12 hours before cutting the umbilical. I made sure it was dry as per the advice of another BYC member. There was no blood and no chirps of pain. I believe dragging the egg around behind him is what caused the spraddle legs. When first hatched, the chick was standing fine, but now it can't seem to stand.

I waited well over 12 hours before cutting the umbilical. I made sure it was dry as per the advice of another BYC member. There was no blood and no chirps of pain. I believe dragging the egg around behind him is what caused the spraddle legs. When first hatched, the chick was standing fine, but now it can't seem to stand.
They can also get spraddle leg by a foot slipping out to the side causing injury. (That's one of the reasons I use the rubber shelf lining in my bator-for better grip and traction on the floor.)

Yes, I went back and read that you had waited overnight. Sorry about that. Take a look at the link Amy gave you. Spraddle leg is correctable, usually within 3 days or so. The earlier you do it, the faster it works

Yes, I went back and read that you had waited overnight. Sorry about that. Take a look at the link Amy gave you. Spraddle leg is correctable, usually within 3 days or so. The earlier you do it, the faster it works
I'm working on bracing the chick's legs now. That is definitely easier said than done. :)

Did you lay the eggs on the wire mesh on day 18 or are they still in the carton? If you didn't lay them down on day 18, may be why you have a bottom piper. I am just as addicted to this as you.. This is my 3rd hatch with 3 olive eggers, 7 Easter eggers and 2 speckled Sussex eggs. First hatch I got 0%to hatch because I was clueless. 2nd one I got 50% (6 out of 12) and they are healthy and growing beautifully. This batch (12 remain out of the 14 original) were all alive as of yesterday (day 18). One has already pipped and I am seeing lots of wiggling and hearing chirping. I am hoping all will hatch this time. Good luck to you!

Did you lay the eggs on the wire mesh on day 18 or are they still in the carton? If you didn't lay them down on day 18, may be why you have a bottom piper. I am just as addicted to this as you.. This is my 3rd hatch with 3 olive eggers, 7 Easter eggers and 2 speckled Sussex eggs. First hatch I got 0%to hatch because I was clueless. 2nd one I got 50% (6 out of 12) and they are healthy and growing beautifully. This batch (12 remain out of the 14 original) were all alive as of yesterday (day 18). One has already pipped and I am seeing lots of wiggling and hearing chirping. I am hoping all will hatch this time. Good luck to you!
The bottom pipper was in the carton when it pipped. I took them all out after that and layed them on the mesh. I ended up with 3 out of 5, and #3 is still weak. It will walk around, but fall over on its back. At that point, it can't get back over. I did have to help this one hatch. I think it has something to do with it's entire right side. I tried bracing it's legs, but it just seems to lean to the right all of the time, and I can't tell for sure, but I don't think it has full use of its right wing. The other chicks pick on it, especially when it is on its back. At night, I separate them, but keep them together during the day. I've noticed that keeping it with the others does encourage it to 'keep up.' I'm afraid I'm going to have to cull #3, but am doing everything I can to avoid that.

I have a second batch in the incubator now, starting with 12 eggs. I learned a lot with the first batch, so I'm hoping this one will have a higher hatch rate. I will not be putting them in the carton at all, and I think I will put a towel in the bottom of the incubator on day 18 so that there is not a lot of sliding around when they get to wallking. Also, I will be candling a lot less. (I probably won't have the time to candle so much this time anyway.)

As you probably read before, I have buckeyes. I found out that they don't start laying until closer to 42 weeks sometimes, so I decided I needed to go ahead and buy some that were already laying. The local breeder I bought them from had decided to discontinue this breed because there was not enough interest. I bought all the buckeyes he had yesterday - 4 hens and 1 rooster - and he gave me all the hatching eggs he had collected. Since bringing them home yesterday, all 4 hens have given me an egg already. I was rushed all day yesterday to get my coop finished. I'm not quite satisfied with it yet, but it is finished enough to keep them in and predators out. I plan on letting them free range in the back yard starting Monday, and hopefully finishing up the coop either Monday or Tuesday. Anyway, so between them and the little chicks, I think I'll stay busy enough to stay out of the incubator. ;)

Back
Top Bottom