New to having a flock

skylerw

In the Brooder
May 25, 2016
Was wondering when I can let my flock out of the run I have a 5 acre pond for my 12 ducks and 12 chickens and would like them to come home at night however they don't like people we try to socialize with them and they just run away from us any help would be appreciated the chicken on the other hand are friendly but cautious of us

so @skylerw it sounds like you need to start spoiling them with gifts ASAP so that when they see you coming they run for you!!

thumbsup.gif

Agreed with the others, start giving them goodies routinely before they realize the pond. Fairly quickly they'll start to associate you with goodies and come to you looking for handouts! To begin, treat every time your out there....once they start coming to mob you for goodies you can start scaling back to a more unpredictable schedule.

Welcome,
-I have a large orange grove next to my 5 acres my flock likes to wander into. However here are my suggestions for getting them to return home.
-I feed my flock twice a day, at the same times (before and after work), and in the same spot of the yard.
-I will call out to them so they know my voice, I think it works.
-I put a bench in their pasture and feed them by hand, they know me, they know who feeds them.
-I keep their food in a 5 gallon metal trash can. They know what the sound of the metal lid coming off the can means. I bang the scoop on the lid like a cymbal to get their attention as well.
-I will lose ducks if I don't put them in their Quack Shack every night. That is their safe haven, that is where they run to when spooked.
-If the flock is taking too long to get out of the neighbor's grove, I'll chuck a dropped orange in their general direction. The noise spooks them into moving a little faster.

It's taken over a year of this routine for the good habits to sink in, but now when the flock wanders off, I can call them and they will waddle their butts back home. Very practical for me, and entertaining for family. As a bonus, when I call them, they will quack back at me.

Good luck,
Rich

one of the girls i talk to said she has to catch her birds every night (ducks not the chickens) but i am waiting to hear from others

Some of my ducks werent too people social so we started giving them some kitchen scraps such as field greens, arugula, romaine, and the rinds of melons. They love it , now Everytime I go out there they wait and see... Its bribing but it works. The meal worms too. It took them a little while to understand what I was dropping was a treat. Now I can't get them off my porch. But overall they are easily corralled into their pen.

Mine do too but I've been reading that spinach will prevent the calcium intake for the hens... Not sure how true that is but just to be safe I haven't been giving them spinach
Hmmm interesting I had a duck expert tell me about spinach, I say- more research needed!

Back
Top Bottom