new to me home built cabinet

thanks for the help! that was a NICE looking unit!

I can't get to the fan to get pictures, but I agree, I think it needs more fans. I have eggs hatching that weren't supposed to hatch until tomorrow.....must be all girls as impatient as they are, HA

but anyway, I was hoping to get them in this one. When this hatch is done, I plan to pull this one, work on the fans, put a light in it, and get the turner in it. I'll either have to cut the wire on the turner or figure out how to put a power strip in it to plug it in. will probably cut and splice a connector in the wire...

ok an update. I could NOT get the humidity regulated, I finished out my hatch in the styrofoam bators. I have been working on the WCB (wine cooler bator) and this is what I found when I turned it around and turned it over:

nothing to block it from pulling in all that fresh air. I'm of the mind that's why I couldn't raise the humidity, too much in coming fresh air. There's a 6" hole cut for this thing to push the heat in.

I tried just taking it off and setting it inside, but then couldn't keep the temps under 103*.

So, I moved it back outside, took some scrap flashing and boxed it in. We'll see how it stabilizes after running a few hours. This box isn't air tight, so it's not shooting the temps up, I just need to be able to get the humidity up for hatching, I could get it in the 30-35% range before, so I can cover part of the water if need be and drop it for incubating. I just have to make sure I can boost it for those last three days for hatching....

here it is now:

After building my fancy lil box to block off the incoming air flow, it didn't matter at all, no change what so ever in being able to bump the humidity. AND the box I built was too hot to touch in just a little while, so that's a no go for me, something fall over behind there and burn the place down. So I turned it off and unplugged it. Got up this morning and since I left the water pan inside it, the humidity in it was 94%......
he.gif

time to take it all back apart and order a heating element to do this thing right

Have you look around for the thermostat sensor maybe you need to relocate
I don't really think that has anything to do with having a 9x19 water surface and not being able to get the humidity to stay over 40% because there's too much fresh air being drawn in that big old hole by the fan that's too big, does it?

I mean the temps are stable and even pretty close through out it, top to bottom. The issue is humidity not temp. Funny that the humidity went higher with the heater OFF overnight

Last edited:
You need the hot air to hit directly into the water so you can bring up humidity

Well, it went up into the 80's - 90's with the heater turned off. I've had people with older cabinets tell me their water pan was in the bottom and the heat on the top.

I'm fully convinced the issue is too much fresh air in, thus too much exchange = too much humidity is going out when the fresh air comes in. Why else would it have gone up with the heater/fan OFF?

I've removed the oversized fan, covered and insulated the gaping hole snd ordered a new cabinet hearing system from GWF, the same ones they use in their cabinet models

Last edited:
the parts haven't gotten here yet, i just ordered them friday. I have a couple friends with the GQF incubators, I'm going to get the measurements for their cabinets, sizes for vent holes and placement. Each of them usually run in the low to mid 90's hatch rate success... I expect to be close to that as well

Back
Top Bottom