New to me rooster won't stand

SweetandSavory

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
I was given a rooster yesterday who had been in a cat box for 10 hours with only popcorn to eat, yes wrong on many levels. Anyway he won't stand up. He is eating and drinking voraciously(I put rooster booster in his water) I felt his legs, they appear fine. He grips when I hold his claws. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next? I think I need to make him a sling so I'll search the best way to do that. Thanks in advance!!

How old is he?

The best thing you can do it keep him quarantined for at least 3wks. so you can monitor him closely. Offer extra poultry vitamins in his water and give him some egg or tuna in addition to his regular poultry feed (you can also give him chick starter or flock raiser/grower feed).

It may be that he spent 10hrs in a box without a good source of food/water and is dehydrated - hopefully this is the case and he will bounce back.

There can be many causes of not being able to use the legs - disease like Marek's, vitamin/nutritional deficiency, neurological/developmental disorders and injury.

Watch for any sign of illness, if you do then you will need to make a hard decision as to whether to continue care or to cull.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2016/08/biosecurity-for-backyard-chickens.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html

He is probably very stressed.Moving chickens to different home is very hard on them give him a while and hopefully he will be fine.

Sorry for some reason I didn't receive a notification that anyone responded. Thank you all

Sadly we put him down New Years day. I believe he had Mareks although the people he came from vaccinated (we all know that doesnt always work) We did make a sling and I gave him PT everyday but he continued to deteriorate. New Years morning I went out and he had a twisted neck. I couldn't let him hurt anymore. He was the absolute sweetest little boy I had ever met. I think he was a black sexlink so I will need to get a few chicks.

I'm sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom