New to me -- Texas Natural Feed

Darker yokes are no indicator of more nuturious egg. Most companies add marigold blossom s to add a deeper orange color but no added benefit.

I kept getting weevils in the bags I bought. Never had problems before. Don't know if it was feed store or what. Stopped buying Texas Naturals and haven't had any more problems. Also changed feed stores.
I got weevils in mine off/on last year and it started up again this year. I know it wasn't the feed store's fault since they only bought 3-4 bags of the starter a week. I had to get there early to get a bag. It started again this year, and I noticed my chickens were on the "thin" side. Combine that with the supply shortage, I just switched to Purina Flock Raiser. They seem to like it. It's just gmo and has no meat protein.

I have been using H&H for a week. I feed the Old Fashioned Layer. Yes I have to drive an hour to get it, but my girls love it. I plan on trying the fermentation process next week. Have you tried H&H?

Last edited:
I will have to look that one up. I am open to it, we would like it to be non him and organic if possible. Thanks for mentioning it.

I haven't had any problem with weevils. There were some in the metal trash can, but I'd had Coyote Creek from Southern Ag here in Tulsa before. That was expensive! Replaced that as soon as possible. TNF is NON-soy, GMO, or medicated; and lists Diatomaceous Earth as an ingredient (as does CC, but I had weevils then.) I haven't had any problems since switching. If in doubt, just stir a handful into the storage container.

Their other ingredients are just as transparent: "peanut meal, sorghum grain, oats, brewer’s yeast, fishmeal, probiotics, diatomaceous earth and a vitamin/mineral premix." I'd guess a spent brewer's grain as it says "distillers grain dried yeast". Not particularly concerned, but doing this recycles a perfectly good source that will actually be a better feed anyway. Want the ingredients raw? Buy the Scratch, comes without the trace mineral salt or vitamin supplement. Actually I think I'll get a bag and till part of the yard to plant it for forage/ fodder: " Wheat, grain sorghum, oats, trapper peas, and black oil sunflower."

I wasn't impressed enough with Countryside Organics to look closely. I have no problem with the ingredients in the TNF.
Y'all do know that "certified" non-GMO, Organic, etc is basically a scam, right? Oh, it's got great standards; but it's inconsequential for big food manufacturer's to get exception waivers, and back breakingly expensive for small producers to get the same compliance certification. As much as our chickens graze the yard, $21.50 /50# from Tulsa Feed Co. on N. Yale is highly preferable for quality that exceeds Purina etc, without the price of boutique foods.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (Min) 18%, Lysine (Min) .40%, Methionine (Min) .15%, Crude Fat (Min) 3.0%, Crude Fiber (Max) 8.0%, Calcium (Ca) (Min) 1.5%, Calcium (Ca) (Max) 2.5%, Phosphorus (P) (Min) .50%, Salt (NaCl) (Min) .50%, Salt (NaCI) (Max) 1.5%

The Lysine and Methionine seem low about half the amount of the big companies.
I was looking at Texas Natural Feeds Guaranteed Analysis and it was different than what you posted from January of last year. It looks like that they have upped their Lysine and Methionine along with increases of Calcium and percentages. Salt content also dropped.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (Min) 18%, Lysine (Min) .80%, Methionine (Min) .40%, Crude Fat (Min) 3.0%, Crude Fiber (Max) 8.0%, Calcium (Ca) (Min) 3.0%, Calcium (Ca) (Max) 3.5%, Phosphorus (P) (Min) .50%, Salt (NaCl) (Min) .50%, Salt (NaCI) (Max) 1.0%

I now see that I read it wrong. The calcium listed is min 1.5 & max at 2.5 which is too low for layers.

Back
Top Bottom