new to raising chickens... What kind of chicken do I have?

The ones with barring (the white bars) look like Barred Rocks, and the ones that aren't RIR's look like Black Sex-links.

Definitely not a Pure Delaware or Rock, they have yellow shanks. Looks like he's part Light Sussex mixed with possibly a Cuckoo Marans or maybe a tad of Delaware.

I definitely see the Barred Rocks & the RIR's...but which ones are Black Sex-Links? Are they the ones that are more brown? I just got a little Black Star & she's very black at this point. Is her color going to change that much? Or am I just not seeing black chickens hiding in these pix...lol

Black Sex-Links usually are pretty dark brown with some light hackles, sometimes not even black at all. But actually I think you are right Nsampsel, those little guys in the corner look like Black Stars.

Black Sex-Links usually are pretty dark brown with some light hackles, sometimes not even black at all. But actually I think you are right Nsampsel, those little guys in the corner look like Black Stars.

Ok...thanks for the heads-up. Now I won't freak when "Blackie" has to have her name changed to "Brownie" in a few weeks...lol

None of mine were ever black or really that dark. I'll post some better pics of the one in question. Its really a great looking bird in my opinion.

Wow, that girl is something! I can't tell what she is, but I know she can't be a Welsummer because of her willow shanks.

Thank you, Jersey. I've got three of these. Not sure what they are, but sure are good looking in my opinion. Can you tell from the pics if any others are roosters besides the white one?

Back
Top Bottom