New to Raising Chickens with sick chick

the4ts

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 22, 2013
We have two chickens that are about 6-7 weeks old. We have them is their own run, separated from the other chickens we have until they get a little bigger. This morning they were both fine, everything looked normal. When we came home from work, one of the young chickens was laying on their side, breathing rapidly and looked soaking wet like they had been out in the rain. The other chicken was normal (and dry). We have brought it in and wrapped it in a towel to get in warm and dry but I am pretty sure this chicken will not make it another hour. Any ideas? We have no idea what could have made it so sick so quickly.

Thanks.

Do you think the wet chick might have fallen into a water container?Chicks can drown pretty easily if they get into water. I'm not sure what is going on. Coccidiosis is the most common illness with chicks that age. If it wasn't wet, that would be my guess. Corid liquid is the treatment. I hope the chick makes it.

No, the water devices wouldn't allow the chicken to get into it. The chicken also wasn't laying any where near it. It is strange and I am just so new to this so don't even know what symptons to list to get ideas on what it could be. Thanks for the reply.

Is she breathing normally now??Has she wanted to eat/drink or has she pooped??Do they have a shady area to keep out of the sun if they want??sometimes chickens will open their beaks and breathe quickly (almost like panting, they cool their core temp this way) which can be a sign of possible overheating if they can't get away from the heat. Is the chick standing on her own at all?
I'm trying to list all I can think of to narrow it down! Good luck!!

Sorry to say that she didn't make it. The area we keep our chickens is very shady and this chicken was under a cover as well. Plus it did rain all day so maybe it was too wet but not too hot for sure. Strange. Thanks for the ideas.

Back
Top Bottom