New to raising chickens

kschick127

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 19, 2014
Hello all,

I've never raised chickens before, but can't wait to get started. I haven't gotten any chickens yet because I still need to build or buy a coop for them. I've been looking at dozens of plans to get an idea of where to get started. My family lives in a small town very close to Fort Worth and I've been researching heat tolerant chickens. I've got several ideas of what I want, now I just need to get busy with my coop constructing skills.

In addition to playing with chickens, I have a house full of kids (6 boys), 4 pet rats (yes, I said pet rats, all boys), and one pet dog (she's my only girl). I'm a nurse and love knitting, cooking, and exercising. My husband and I try to be eco-conscious without being eco-crazy. I spend a lot of time playing with my yard (growing things) and last year set up a composting bin. I never thought I'd be so happy to see bugs as I was when I went out and looked in the compost bin. :)

Many blessings,

Kate

Quote: Aussies are very docile friendly birds. All my Aussies are lap sitters, follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or attention. While some Aussies can be shy, many of them make such great pets. You can't go wrong with Australorps!

Aussies are very docile friendly birds. All my Aussies are lap sitters, follow me around like drooling puppies looking for goodies or attention. While some Aussies can be shy, many of them make such great pets. You can't go wrong with Australorps!

X2 on Black Australorps. They are my favorite standard breed; very hardy, gentle and calm (like TwoCrows indicated), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. My children, and now my granddaughter, made pets of them.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You might want to chat with your chicken neighbors in your state thread to see what breeds to best in your climate...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas

So glad you could join our community! Good luck with the coop build and if you run into any issues, you know where wer are! :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the coop build and soon to be new flock!

Welcome to the flock. Even though some breeds may be heat tolerant, they still need the basics, plenty of cool fresh water, natural or artificial shade, and a well ventilated coop.

Back
Top Bottom