New to roosters...

kristine16

Chirping
Sep 21, 2020
We got babies from Murray McMurray in mid August after losing our 5 previous hens when an escaped dog broke into the coop. We reinforced the coop to hopefully make it impenetrable before ordering 6 golden laced Wyandotte girls, 6 blue laced red Wyandotte girls, and 3 buff laced Polish girls. We ended up with a silver spangled Hamburg as the free-bee bird they throw in. Now at 3 months old it is becoming evident that we seem to have at least 2 roosters. One BLR Wyandotte and the Hamburg.

We have never had nor wanted roosters. We’ve gotten lucky in the past when we’ve bought sexed females in that they were in fact female. However, I am not someone who ever wants to rehome any animal in my care and killing them is out of the question (unless they turn out to be super aggressive toward humans, then we may consider it.) I have also become somewhat attached to the Hamburg.

I am aware that 2 roosters and 14 hens is not a great ratio but we are going to at least see how it goes with the hope we may get lucky and it will work out ok. However, I am aware that is unlikely and am trying to come up with potential solutions. One that I am aware of is to make a bachelor pad for the roosters, so that is on my list of possibilities. I was wondering though, if anyone ever kicks the roosters out of the coop during the day to prevent them from wearing the hens out? Would it be at all realistic to let the roosters free range separate from the hens during the day and into the same coop for roosting overnight? We do also have the ability to separate the roosters from each other inside the coop at night if we needed to.

Our coop is best with all areas opened up for everyone but we have a gate we can close to separate inside the coop and each indoor area has it own separate outdoor area, so that if we ever need to separate anyone we can. One of the outdoor areas is much larger than the other, so I don’t really like the idea of putting one rooster in either side with half the hens and from what I understand a 1:7 ratio isn’t great for the hens anyway.

What are the best options for my situation in your opinion?

1:7 is fine as a ratio. Probably more hens than required.
A lot will depend on the roosters and the keeping arrangements.
This lot works out at 1:2 ratio. They've been more or less like this for years.
PB130044.JPG

This lot are 2:3ish ratio. The roosters scrap but the hens are fine.
PB130043.JPG

The next lot here are 1:3 ratio (no pic atm) No problems.
Jungle Fowl, the chickens forefathers and mothers live at 1:1 or 1:2 ratio.

What I'm trying to point out here is the idea that there is some particular ratio is misleading.
If your aim was to try to keep as close to the chickens natural arrangement then 1:2 would be the way to go imo. But, for most backyard keepers this would mean far to few hens for their required egg production and more roosters than most would want to feed.
This article may help if you are new to roosters.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/

View attachment 2411941
View attachment 2411942

What I'm trying to point out here is the idea that there is some particular ratio is misleading.
If your aim was to try to keep as close to the chickens natural arrangement then 1:2 would be the way to go imo. But, for most backyard keepers this would mean far to few hens for their required egg production and more roosters than most would want to feed.
Thank you, that does make me more hopeful that it may work out with everyone living together and that article is very interesting and informative.

from what I understand a 1:7 ratio isn’t great for the hens anyway.

There are a lot of myths out there about hen to rooster ratios. There are no magic numbers that work or that make much real difference. You can have the same issues whether there is 1 boy to 2 girls or 1 boy to 20 girls. If they are going to fight over the girls, they'll fight just as much for 40 as they will for 1. Some girls can be over-mated or barebacked whether it it 1 to 2 or 1 to 20. My basic laying/breeding flock is typically one male and between 6 to 8 females. Your 1 to 7 looks great to me.

There are things that affect their behaviors, whatever the ratio. Immature cockerels and pullets behave differently form mature roosters and hens. During puberty the hormones run wild in the boys and the immature girls don't know what is going on. (I do believe the females have a big part to pay in flock dynamics.) Watching immature cockerels and pullets go through puberty can be really hard to watch, it can be violent. You have yet to get through that. Usually when they all mature things get a lot calmer between the sexes but as someone on here said watching them go through puberty is not for the faint of heart.

I very much believe how much room you have makes a big difference in behaviors. If they are crowded bad behaviors are magnified. That does not mean you will never see issues if they free range and have unlimited space, but those issues are usually not as bad.

The individual personality of the chickens makes a difference. You can't control that, it's just the way they are.

Growing up together makes it more likely that it will not be as violent, somewhat between the boys and girls but especially between the boys. That might be growing up as siblings or as father-son in the flock, even if they are not related.

I think one factor is your expectations. I'll exaggerate to make my point, but with some people it's not that much of an exaggeration. I've seen posts on here where someone sees one chicken peck another and its "Call out the National Guard! They are rioting! They are killing each other! What do I do?" It can get that bad but chickens can be bullies. The pecking order is called the pecking order because it often involves pecking. I have intervened when I think it is necessary but to a large part I see that behavior as part of chicken society, them just being chickens. I think you will see what I mean when yours go through puberty.

I'm sure there are other factors that play into this but that's enough.

What are the best options for my situation in your opinion?

You have many options. You have eliminated many as you wat to keep both boys so why waste time discussing those. Whichever way you try, trust what you see more than what some stranger over the internet like me says. They are living animals and anything can happen.

I have a lot of room. I have three different coops/shelters where they can sleep. Even when I'm at my most crowded they have over 60 square feet per chicken available outside and I have the weather where they can be outside all day every day. I just let mine go. I observe and have the capability to isolate individuals or groups if I need to. About once every three or four years I do isolate some. Most years I don't need to. So that is option 1.

You can separate one or both boys from the flock, either during puberty or forever. Give the boys and the girls a chance to mature before you put them back together. Many different ways you can work this out. Give each his own flock or keep one or both separated from the girls forever. Typically the boys don't fight that much if there are not girls to fight over. This is probably option 2 through 5.

One thing I will mention. You can't stand to get rid of any boys. Do not hatch any eggs. Some of them will be boys if you hatch. You'd really have issues with a bunch of other boys around.

One thing I will mention. You can't stand to get rid of any boys. Do not hatch any eggs. Some of them will be boys if you hatch. You'd really have issues with a bunch of other boys around.

x2
About half of all chicks that hatch will turn out to be males, but sometimes a particular clutch will be mostly males or mostly females. It's really easy to end up with too many males if you are not willing to eat, sell, or rehome them.

View attachment 2411941
View attachment 2411942

This is off-topic, but I noticed that at least some of your chickens are toppies. I like the toppy trait as well. I think it's cute.

What breed are your birds?

I always keep at least one rooster. Usually more than one. Roosters help organize the flock, help protect from predators, help get the girls up on the roost at night, etc.

Here are a couple of pictures of some of my toppies. They are mixed-breed.

IMG_20201029_105225939.jpg
00009IMG_00009_BURST1605447713706.jpg

I also think that time will tell! Having space, more than one feeder and waterer in separate areas, and watching to see how everyone interacts as they mature will matter.
It's easiest, IMO, to raise cockerels in a mixed age flock, so the adult roosters and hens can help socialize those idiot adolescents (humble pie is good!). You have a same age group, so your boys won't have those experiences.
Things may work out fine, or not. Have your Plan B ready!!! Generally cockerels raised together work things out, but then again, one day they might decide it's all over. Some pecking is fine, major injuries, not.
Human aggression: over the years we've progressed from coping with attack birds, to trying to reform bad actors, to zero tolerance. If you have small children, the children need to learn how to behave out there, and zero tolerance is the only way to go.
Make pets out of your pullets if you want, it's fun. your cockerels need to concentrate on their flockmates, learning how to look out for danger (not you!), and making nice with the ladies. It takes them time to develop good skills, but will happen. Hopefully.
For now, I'd keep them both, it's early to really evaluate temperaments. If one or both are already human aggressive, that's a very bad sign.
Mary

Easy solution... Allow to breed. Incubate baby girl chickens. Or buy more female chickens. 1:7 is close to 1:10. If a rooster is mean.... Buy a replacement rooster....

Thread title. New to roosters. Roosters are great. If you live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow roosters, they make rooster cones. Doesn't exist. I looked it up. I seen on other threads. I need better links than Bing gives me.

Back
Top Bottom