New to the beautiful chicken world......

Wow! Thanks for the videos and tips, I'm going to watch them now. I also like the idea about having A nesting box out on their run. I'm in Texas so it gets really hot here too!

Wow! Thanks for the videos and tips, I'm going to watch them now. I also like the idea about having A nesting box out on their run. I'm in Texas so it gets really hot here too!

there are other videos available.. if you have question on something else .. let me know i think i can find a video for you.. since i used them as references when i started out

the removable coop floor idea was from the coops they have at costco.. and also from this video

groworganic.com youtube channel will teach you a lot about starting a garden -with specific plant/veggie planting instructions :)

this is all they have on chickens though.. they do sell supplies and feeds on their website.. but adding shipping cost it's pretty pricey so just buy from your local stores

0.jpg

texas? i lived there for about 6 momths..

went to a school that required all students to use this type of backpack-- clear plastic

Omg wow! (The backpack) must've been a rough school. I've seen some with metal detectors and all- such craziness! I love the organicgardening YouTube channel! I've learned a lot from them. Thanks for the videos, that really helps. I stopped today and bought some treats for the chicks. They will be about two weeks old tomorrow so I figured nows a good time as any to start giving it to them! I started them on chick grit late last week, so they've got that. I also got some electrolytes and probiotic mix to put in their water. Just want to make sure that they are healthy. They don't eat medicated feed- as I'm going all organic. From what I understand coccidiosis is transmitted only by certain animals, of which none have been around here in over 50 years ..... So they should be fine. I also put apple cider vinegar in their water. They seem to enjoy it.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Omg wow! (The backpack) must've been a rough school. I've seen some with metal detectors and all- such craziness! I love the organicgardening YouTube channel! I've learned a lot from them. Thanks for the videos, that really helps. I stopped today and bought some treats for the chicks. They will be about two weeks old tomorrow so I figured nows a good time as any to start giving it to them! I started them on chick grit late last week, so they've got that. I also got some electrolytes and probiotic mix to put in their water. Just want to make sure that they are healthy. They don't eat medicated feed- as I'm going all organic. From what I understand coccidiosis is transmitted only by certain animals, of which none have been around here in over 50 years ..... So they should be fine. I also put apple cider vinegar in their water. They seem to enjoy it.
Thanks for all your help!!!

the school has no metal detectors though. .just their police that all students must use a clear plastic backpack.. maybe for security reason or the school had a contract with the manufacturer of the type of backpacks.. who knows..

be careful with treats though don't give them too much or too frequent

imo.. there's nothing wrong with medicated feed.. organic-- usually have to do with free from pesticide and other chemicals.. but it's a personal choice

right now i'm feeding my chickens organic starter feeds.. but once i used up this 30lb bag. i'll switch over to organic non-grmo, non-corn,soy,canola layer feed.. it's a trend now a day.. feeding chickens organic, non-gmo with no corn,soy or canola

coccidiosis is common in birds/chickens..

often from other bird droppings or eating feeds or drink water that are contaminated with their own manure.. so it's something to keep in mind

0.jpg

0.jpg

Can they actually get coccidiosis from their own droppings? Or would they have to be infected in the first place? I thought it was transmitted by other animals that are infected with it... So that if I don't have any other animals that could possibly pass it on to my chicks, I should be just fine. Hmmmm? Now I wonder. I've heard that the apple cider vinegar is a good, natural remedy to help prevent coccidiosis.

Can they actually get coccidiosis from their own droppings? Or would they have to be infected in the first place? I thought it was transmitted by other animals that are infected with it... So that if I don't have any other animals that could possibly pass it on to my chicks, I should be just fine. Hmmmm? Now I wonder. I've heard that the apple cider vinegar is a good, natural remedy to help prevent coccidiosis.

i used medicated feed for my chicks (only 5lb bag though) for the first 1-2 weeks i got them home to help them build up immunity.. then switched over to the current feed

the reason why it's so common in chickens because they are stepping on and sleeping on their own manure.. then scratching the ground thus throwing it into their feeder and waterer

which is why i hang my feeders and waterer.. and move it higher and higher as they grow larger/taller in size

i didn't use any holistic remedies they mentioned in the video to be honest.. i just clean out the coop/run and their water each day..

you can read more about coccidiosis here

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

Thanks for the help. It appears as though they have to be infected in the first place to pass it in their droppings. The apple cider vinegar is supposed to help. The folks at the tractor supply convinced me to go this natural and organic route based on how I garden. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put costal hay in their coop along with the pine shavings as the costal hay had been sprayed with herbicide and fertilizer...... We shall see

Thanks for the help. It appears as though they have to be infected in the first place to pass it in their droppings. The apple cider vinegar is supposed to help. The folks at the tractor supply convinced me to go this natural and organic route based on how I garden. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to put costal hay in their coop along with the pine shavings as the costal hay had been sprayed with herbicide and fertilizer...... We shall see

not something i would use

well. good luck to you

Yeah, I'm real Leary about it. What all do you use? I'm also using line shavings. One person replied to me that it should be ok, but I want the best for them

Yeah, I'm real Leary about it. What all do you use? I'm also using line shavings. One person replied to me that it should be ok, but I want the best for them

line shavings? you meant pine shavings?

this is the thing with caring for chickens

each owner will have his/own preferences so you will have to find yours
wink.png

personally i would not use bedding with herbicide in them with my chickens.. since i'm worried about them lying on them, pecking at them and breathing in dust that coming off it.

i use pine shavings in my coop and run.. but some other users do not as they like straw better or other type of bedding

fine pine shavings have more dust. flake pine shavings will have little to no dust.

i tried shredded paper and it was a bad idea.. a lot of dust from shredded paper (when cross cut)

i also tried cardboard .etc..

i like pine shaving better ( this is the type that i use).. it has a strong pine smell that help with odor control. plus the manure will stuck to the flakes for moisture control .. so i got dried, odorless manure.. easy to clean and will not attract as many flies :)

i got the pine shavings from wal-mart.. i heard tractor supply stores will also have pine shavings.. but i'm not sure if it's the same type

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom